TX200SR Mk1

pirellip

Re: TX200SR Mk1

Post by pirellip » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:21 pm

I'm really glad those Bullseye mounts are working well for you Tim.
Tom
CAFTA Governor

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:49 pm

Been working some on the stock and did some shaping for the riser.

This is the stock. It is left handed and if I am successful, the other side of the butt will be shaped the same as this side; a true ambidextrous stock.
SR Rt.jpg
SR Rt.jpg (101.15 KiB) Viewed 909 times
This is my plan, but the cheek riser will be attached with hardware I will be purchasing, not with the makeshift plan I have drawn:
SR Stock Plan.jpg
SR Stock Plan.jpg (462.17 KiB) Viewed 909 times
This will be the riser that so far fits perfectly and I have to finish the shaping and smooth everything to blend in with the existing stock. Optimistic about this part of the stock.
Riser Lt.jpg
Riser Lt.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 909 times
Riser Top Lt.jpg
Riser Top Lt.jpg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 909 times
Tim
CAFTA Governor

pirellip

Post by pirellip » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:58 pm

Looking great Tim. Is the riser (hamster) going to be adjustable, or fixed in place?
Tom
CAFTA Governor

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:08 pm

Tom, the hamster is going to be attached permanently. There will be an Anschutz rail on the bottom of it, in case I want more height or something adjustable under there. You can see it on the plan if you zoom in a bit.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

Hunkaluv

Post by Hunkaluv » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:18 am

Looks good Tim. How are you shaping the wood? Router and rasp? When I did my stock for the d54, I was using a wood rasp on a die grinder, that worked really well for contouring. What about the cheek riser? Scroll saw and drill press? I will say don't be ascared, even the pros get it wrong. The Gary Cane stock that I just got is beautifully shaped on the outside, but the holes where the stock bolts onto the action are off - significantly so.
April 14th first shoot?
RYan

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:13 pm

So far, all I have used are the table saw, cutoff saw, sandpaper and my Dremel with different wheels. Will drill the through hole with my drill press. Once the Dremel work is done on the riser, I will be hand sanding it to fit exactly. Once it is glued on, I will blend it perfectly with the existing stock.

Would love to have my router to cut the rail grove, but it did not make the trip with me, so probably my Dremel and fine hand chisels will have to do. Will fix the rail on the riser before I glue it on the stock.

I think I am going to cut the cheek riser out of the stock before I start any work there. It will be easier to work with narrower pieces of wood when I create the flat sections to glue the walnut chunks onto. Once that is done, I will shape it to an ambidextrous stock and then install the mounting hardware. Not worried at all about installing the hardware, the only trick part is creating the flat spots to glue the pieces onto.

Going to set up a work area in the garage so I can spend a little more time there and have the machines ready to go when I get out there. Have been getting everything out and putting it all away and that wastes time for sure.

Starting to warm up, so that makes things easier too. Enjoying the project so far and already thinking about the next one.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Thu May 03, 2018 3:39 pm

Used a router to cut grove for rail and it worked very well. It was a slight friction fit that I could push in and pull out with my fingers, but it required a little effort. Just what I was hoping for, so pleased with that. Thanks for the use of the router Dave; it has come in very handy twice now.

I have to do the final shaping of the rail at the end so that it is flush with the wood.
Riser Rail.jpg
Riser Rail.jpg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 446 times
Will attempt the cut out of the cheek piece in the next few days.

Parts are on their way from Lithuania and should arrive early next week.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

pirellip

Post by pirellip » Thu May 03, 2018 4:38 pm

Looking good Tim!
Tom
CAFTA Governor

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Tue May 08, 2018 3:03 pm

Some work done. Can sort of see what it will look like when completed. Hardware has not arrived yet.

Still have to create the flat sections on the sides of the butt sections shown in the pic in order to glue walnut pieces on. Once that is complete, I will shape the left side of the butt to create an ambi stock and then glue the knee riser on. Then I will be sanding to blend the parts and decide if I am going to refinish the whole stock; that seems like the best option at this point. Mounting the hardware will be the last work to be done and then trying it out.
Pieces Parts.jpg
Pieces Parts.jpg (3.21 MiB) Viewed 386 times
Tim
CAFTA Governor

pirellip

Post by pirellip » Tue May 08, 2018 7:32 pm

You did a good job cutting out the cheek piece.
Tom
CAFTA Governor