Wind reading options.

Strategy, Technique, Stories, etc.
EdLena

Wind reading options.

Post by EdLena » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:51 pm

Regardless of the way the rules are written regarding wind reading options I believe wind flags should be a part of any outdoor shooting competition including FT.
Why spend thousands of dollars on equipment, countless hours calibrating and practicing if it's all for nothing because you can't tell what the wind is doing. No one is getting an edge if all the competitors can see the same wind flags. It would add an interesting new element and make us better marksman.
Why not allow the competitors to vote on it at each event and if the wind flags become popular then the rules can be amended accordingly.

Ed.

Mac
Site Admin

Re: Wind reading options.

Post by Mac » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:47 pm

One of the things that specifically attracted me to field target was the fact that it was quite different from other shooting sport. There are skills that over lap to other sports, but some that do not. Other than shooting skill, one must be able to set up their rig so they know exactly where it hits within the distances for FT, much like a sniper would. That is why targets are set at random distances and in interesting positions, such as behind logs, under branches, up in tree, down in low spots, in dark areas, etc.

Add to that, you must be able to determine the range to the target, whether you use the scope to do so or estimate by eye. Once you know the range and where to aim, you then have to allow for the wind if it is present. You also have to know how the wind will affect the path of the pellet based on the direction it is coming from. Once that is done, you have to have a shooting position that allows you to hold still enough to release the shot at your chosen aim point. When I shoot FT, I see wind flags everywhere, not just the one mounted on my gun. Grass, trees, weeds, falling leaves, the rain if it is raining and even the feel on my skin, all give wind information.

There are many other points that could be added, but this is a quick simplification of the process.

I would hate to see the course turned into a bench rest type affair with wind flags scattered here and there. The rules, as written, do not permit wind flags on the course as one of the accepted shooting aids, so, if it is important to the match director, ignoring that and using them would take the match out of consideration as a CAFTA sanctioned match. This is my take on it and I would be interested to hear what others think.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

EdLena

Post by EdLena » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:30 pm

You said; "When I shoot FT, I see wind flags everywhere, not just the one mounted on my gun. Grass, trees, weeds, falling leaves, the rain if it is raining and even the feel on my skin, all give wind information."
At the HAHA where I've been FT shooting it's from an enclosed area. No wind on our faces or wind affecting the strings mounted on our guns. The grass and weeds are cut and there are no trees or leaves. It's the same at the range I shoot at near my home and any rifle range being used for FT.
You also said; "one must be able to set up their rig (calibrate scopes) so they know exactly where it hits within the distances for FT".
I've been trying to do that but the elevations change every time there are different wind conditions. A tail wind is like increasing the pellets BC and a head wind is like decreasing it.
It would be great to hear how other FT competitors feel about setting up a couple of flags.
Due to the higher participation at the CAF that may be another good place to take a pole.

Thanks,
Ed.

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:40 am

There have been a fair number of experienced FT shooters that have participated at HAHA, including myself. I hope they will chime in here. You already know how I feel.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

ynoT

Post by ynoT » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:36 am

I will have to side with Tim here. I believe that posting a flag or a few can pose more problems than help. What if one flag is going left and another further downrange is going right what do you do? I don't. Just learn how to dope the wind as best as possible and have fun. Accent on Fun. See WFTF rules @ http://www.world-field-target-federatio ... OTINGRANGE

Inexperienced Newbie. (3 years)

Tony

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:11 pm

I like the fact that you mention the WFTF, Tony. FT has become an international sport and rules are based, for the most part, on the British system, the originators of the sport. These WFTF rules have been accepted by over 30, close to 40 countries.

The rule I usually go by is the following from the WFTF rules:

"Wind indicator

(Methods of wind indication) – Must be Non electronic and only attached to rifle. Any other form of shooter initiated wind assessment is NOT permitted. (Includes, but not restricted to powders, grass, smoke, dust etc…)"

Seems fairly clear that most of the world wants wind reading to be a shooting skill.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

jgoodz

Post by jgoodz » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:29 pm

I would agree with Tim as well; I would not want to see wind flags on a course and they should not be necessary IMO. There always seems to be long grass on the side banks at HAHA as far as I remember no? that would be where I would look, the grass surrounding the targets, the string attached to the target, or when you pull the string watch how it drifts ;)

FT is a sport governed by rules under the WFTF, all of the little changes suggested or implemented just change into different versions of FT at every club you go to, that is not good for the sport overall. Therefore I would simply say it is against the rules of FT; regardless of what people want or think, its really that simple. I think you are missing the point a little bit here; gauging wind is very much part of the sport. Having to rely on flags placed out on the course does not make you a better marksman, quite the opposite really; it makes you reliant on wind flags vs using your surroundings/experience.

Most higher level FT shooters will specifically practice shooting in the wind, memorize wind drift at further ranges or have notes, read forecasts beforehand, read other signs on the course and targets. I sit out in the wind and shoot with a wind meter quite frequently, I usually try to gauge from the feel of wind on my face as that is something that will always be consistent vs grass/trees, then I check my estimate vs the wind meter over and over. Learning how to gauge wind is (or should be) a big part of those countless hours spent testing and calibrating.

Cheers,

EdLena

Post by EdLena » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:26 pm

From what I've gathered so far, FT is a combination of low tech (judging the wind from natural sources) and high tech(using high end scopes to determine distance and precisely control elevation).
Back when hunters and warriors had to judge the wind like that they had to also judge distance and hold over on there own.
I guess the wftf just evolved that way over the years and the ones who learned to judge the wind the old fashion way don't want to lose that advantage now.
There are many rule differences between wftf and the American open division that I compete in. I figured one more sensible change to the open would be acceptable but I forgot there are wftf shooters out there shooting at the same time and so I now understand it wouldn't be right.
Thanks,
Ed.