How do you stop your scope from fogging up?

FTguy
Site Admin

How do you stop your scope from fogging up?

Post by FTguy » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:09 pm

During that last match at PCFTC, I found myself battling fog on the ocular lens.. Rained the whole time we were shooting.. :mrgreen:
Tough to make a shot when you can't see your target...
Open to suggestions on how to prevent this from happening again anytime soon...

Thanks!
Shoot Safely, Shoot Often & Share Your Sport!

bjp

Re: How do you stop your scope from fogging up?

Post by bjp » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:55 pm

While this may not directly answer your question it may give you some idea's of what might work. I had almost the same problem last year at the Cross Catskills challenge. My glasses kept fogging up in the humidity and I couldn't see a thing! i happened to ask Ray Appelles (who also wears glasses) how he dealt with the issue and he pointed to his hat. Both he and his father wear hats with little fans in the brim that blows air onto his face and he said that the airflow kept his glasses fog free. i wonder if some little fan directed at the lenses when the gun is in the cradle would keep the lenses clear long enough to shoot. I spent the match continually wiping my glasses but it didn't help too much !

Food for thought !
I wonder if Rain-X would work (though I'm loathe to put anything on a scope lens ..............)

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:29 pm

On a day like we shot on, it is probably impossible to keep the lenses on the scope dry or clear. That rain was relentless and even if you had sunshades, the lenses got splashed from the rain hitting inside the edge of the shade. Dennis and I have Leupold Mk4 scopes and we were both continually wiping the lenses to be able to at least find the targets. I had one of the Leupold lens pens that worked for awhile, but once it was soaked, that was not real effective either. I had a glass cleaning cloth in a baggie and that worked for awhile too. If it ever happens again that I have to shoot in those conditions, I will bring half a dozen cleaning cloths in baggies.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

FTguy
Site Admin

Post by FTguy » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:40 pm

I was reaching under my rain jacket for my Tshirt to clear the lens, but the window of opportunity to see through that glass was very short sighted... :lol:
Anyone use an anti-fogging agent or is that going to mess with the optics?
Shoot Safely, Shoot Often & Share Your Sport!