Another project(s) just about done

User avatar
jgoodz
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:00 pm

Another project(s) just about done

Post by jgoodz » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:52 am

I am just putting some finishing touches on the last two pieces I decided to make for my Falcon T50 which will be used on my 12FPE (Vortek) TX200 HC for WFTF piston class

First off is a over sized elevation knob, this will hopefully eliminate having to turn more than 1 full rotation as well as allow for easier layout of my yardage markings on the elevation knob. This was a test piece, I will be adding some more holes from the top face thru to help with weight reduction as it currently weighs in at 4.65oz...For its size, I think thats too much
Image
Image
Image
Image




Second piece is a large side wheel for adjusting focus. This is the biggest sidewheel I have made yet coming in at just over 6.8" diameter on the out side, and about 6" diameter on the wall where the yardage markings will be placed. The thickness of the face as well as the wall thickness was kept to only 0.100" everywhere except the mounting hub, my plan worked as it is quite light for its size, tipping the scales at only 5.85oz. I would like to see this combination of parts only weighing 8oz together, should be doable...
Image
Image
Image

:mrgreen:

Mac
Site Admin
Posts: 723
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:39 pm

Re: Another project(s) just about done

Post by Mac » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:33 am

Now my Falcon scope is going to be jealous. Nice combo. I really like the big wheel with the scallops on the outer edge which will make it very easy to turn, especially for kneeling and offhand, where you need to hold the gun and adjust the focus with just one finger or your thumb. Lots of open space in the wheel to make it light as well.

Great job!
Tim
CAFTA Governor

User avatar
jgoodz
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: Another project(s) just about done

Post by jgoodz » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:35 am

Mac wrote:Now my Falcon scope is going to be jealous. Nice combo. I really like the big wheel with the scallops on the outer edge which will make it very easy to turn, especially for kneeling and offhand, where you need to hold the gun and adjust the focus with just one finger or your thumb. Lots of open space in the wheel to make it light as well.

Great job!

Thanks Tim, I always like dress up my guns with a little "functional bling" if you are interested in a elevation knob let me know, I may be running a few in the next couple days

TX200
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:05 am

Re: Another project(s) just about done

Post by TX200 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:22 am

Nice work Joel! Like the top knob. Agree with you on the weight. Look forward to seeing pics of the lightened version. Could use one for my Sightron.

Regards,
Jeff

User avatar
jgoodz
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: Another project(s) just about done

Post by jgoodz » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:24 pm

TX200 wrote:Nice work Joel! Like the top knob. Agree with you on the weight. Look forward to seeing pics of the lightened version. Could use one for my Sightron.

Regards,
Jeff
If you can get me a close up picture of knob and measurement of the outside diameter, I can do it no problem, PM me for more info if you wnat...

Keyrigger
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:12 pm

Re: Another project(s) just about done

Post by Keyrigger » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:28 pm

Nice work on the machining. Do you have a knurling tool at your disposal? That would be a practical touch for the top of the scope knob since a lot of the area will be available for a detail like that. Take care.

Don

User avatar
jgoodz
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: Another project(s) just about done

Post by jgoodz » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:06 pm

Keyrigger wrote:Nice work on the machining. Do you have a knurling tool at your disposal? That would be a practical touch for the top of the scope knob since a lot of the area will be available for a detail like that. Take care.

Don

Yes I will be trying that tonight, may make a couple and put the knurl across the top, and/or some scallops to match the sidewheel 8-)

User avatar
jgoodz
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: Another project(s) just about done

Post by jgoodz » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:56 pm

I will have 3 of these turret caps for sale, should have two different styles, one with straight walls, one with a step and knurling on the top

Mac
Site Admin
Posts: 723
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:39 pm

Re: Another project(s) just about done

Post by Mac » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:49 pm

jgoodz wrote:I will have 3 of these turret caps for sale, should have two different styles, one with straight walls, one with a step and knurling on the top
Hope you are coming down on the 9th to Burlington; I would like to have a look first hand. Haven't used a big elevation knob for about 13 years, so it may be time to give it a try. It would look good on my silver Falcon.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

User avatar
jgoodz
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: Another project(s) just about done

Post by jgoodz » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:37 pm

Mac wrote:
jgoodz wrote:I will have 3 of these turret caps for sale, should have two different styles, one with straight walls, one with a step and knurling on the top
Hope you are coming down on the 9th to Burlington; I would like to have a look first hand. Haven't used a big elevation knob for about 13 years, so it may be time to give it a try. It would look good on my silver Falcon.
V2.0 and V3.0 are done, should have pictures up tonight after I finish the hand finishing/deburring, and yes I will be there next Sunday

Post Reply