Diana ZR - Mount

Mac
Site Admin

Diana ZR - Mount

Post by Mac » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:49 am

For the piston gun guys, wondering how many have checked this out.

First link about product, second is explanation of function and third is a video that shows the product at about the one minute thirty second point of the video.

Could open up the choices for scopes on high powered and 12 ft/lb piston guns.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/451309/m ... in+July%2C

http://www.network54.com/Forum/451309/m ... ple%2C+Leo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... bBiy1ovq6Q
Tim
CAFTA Governor

jgoodz

Re: Diana ZR - Mount

Post by jgoodz » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:55 pm

That looks like a very interesting system, I would definitely buy one or two...

jgoodz

Post by jgoodz » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:39 am

I cant believe UMAREX USA is not going to stock these...terrible business decision, they would sell quite a few of these without a doubt :|

Leonardj

Post by Leonardj » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:20 am

nt
Last edited by Leonardj on Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:16 pm

Of the four coming into Canada, probably only one will see use on a magnum springer. George's 54 shoots at about 15+ fpe and should give the mount a good test.

I just want one so the quick reverse shock on the springer is not imparted to the scope. I doubt if the mount will move very much on a 12 fpe TX200. Being able to use the Leupold MKIV on my TX would be a real bonus.

Hector was very quick to caution against comparing this mount to the Dampa mount. Very different in function.

I figure it is $100 spent that will get me out a good number of times to shoot the TX in order to see how it works. Good investment, no?
Tim
CAFTA Governor

jgoodz

Post by jgoodz » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:38 pm

It will be interesting to see how they work, from the video it looks as if there is not very much preload holding the mount in the "at rest or home" position, seems to slide the scope quite easily by hand.

I wonder how much force/recoil it takes to actuate the sliding motion? and if too much recoil is applied will it have the potential to create a slingshot effect and "bottom out" the spring if the scope travels forward too fast or with too much force? Couldn't see 15FPE doing that, I mean a real nasty springer, something in 25FPE range perhaps?

Maybe I should take some slow motion videos of people firing them on a gun once they are in, it will look cool in any case :lol:

Leonardj

Post by Leonardj » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:39 am

nt
Last edited by Leonardj on Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:29 am

The main difference from the Dampa mount seems to be the one way movement of this mount. When the gun fires, the scope and mount take the full recoil backwards as the spring moves forward. Most decent scopes have no problem with that. However, when the piston stops at the end of the compression stroke and the recoil violently reverses, that is what can kill the scope. This ZR mount only works to cancel that violent reverse in recoil. The movement in the mount will cancel the recoil on the scope and the spring will bring it back to the ready position. I would be very surprised if the spring on the mount came even close to bottoming out since the length of movement is considerable and the spring tension would increase as it compresses. That is the theory of course and I assume it has been tested many times on the Diana products, some of which have extreme recoil and a reputation for destroying scopes. As always, the proof will come with its use over thousands of shots by folks like you and me.

Hector referred to the initial group buying the mount as pioneers and we all know that things do not always work out well for pioneers. When it does work out well, it can be satisfying. Reminds me a little of when I committed to buy the ld/SS before any of the seven had been made. If this venture works out even half as well as that investment, I'll be real happy. If it doesn't work out, it will provide for many conversations and a lot of opportunities folks to rib me over the coming years. It's all good!
Tim
CAFTA Governor

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:19 pm

Pioneers do not always have the outcome they are looking for; think of the gold rush.

The mount was working very well when I used it at home and for about three or four lanes at FT matches. I first saw the shifting to the side at Burlington. After the first few lanes where I was mowing the targets down, I would have a great hold on a target and simply miss. Due to the nature of the spring gun, it is difficult to see when your pellet strikes, so I scratched my head and moved on. Lost in a shootout in that one.

At Sean's match at the Rochester Brooks FT Club, the same thing repeated. The first few lanes were awesome and then the misses on targets I normally would not miss started to add up. The fellow in the next lane asked what scope I had and how it was mounted. The scope he liked, but the news of what mount I was using brought a very different reaction. He told me he had four of these mounts and they all suffered from POI shifts that got progressively worse. My hopes for a comeback faded, but at least I knew the bad shooting had its roots in the faulty mount.

After the match, Dennis and I examined the mount more closely and I discovered a noticeable side to side movement of the mount. It was both audible and visible. The mechanism that supposedly kept the mount perfectly aligned, had a fair amount of play in it. The mount has been removed and replaced by a riser, topped with Leupold, Weaver type mounts. No movement with this setup. I have sighted the gun at 10 yards here in my house and will head out to the club very soon to check all my aimpoint in order to have a chart ready for next weekend's Crosman match.

So Len, you cynicism was well founded and I paid $100 US in order to save the members here from blowing their money on this particular piece of technology. Seems rationalizing anything is possible. ;)
Tim
CAFTA Governor