Scopes

Globalstar66

Re: Scopes

Post by Globalstar66 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:04 pm

I have owned and also distributed a bunch of scopes. Had 3 S&B FT scopes, and returned all 3 as they had serious light sensitivity issues. Had some Big Nikkos but their backup in South Africa was atrocious so got rid of them too. Used 2 Sightron SIII 10-50x60 scopes and distributed them in SA - great backup from the factory, and they are really nice scopes. Used and also distributed the Falcon T50's. In my own opinion, a better FY scope than the Sightron for the price. If the prices on both were the same, I would maybe buy the Sightron, but the Sightron is not worth the extra 40- 50% in price increase. And the Sightron does not come with a sidewheel, sunshades, distance marker sticker kit, flip-up covers or a decent FT top turret cap - all of which is supplied with the Falcon. Adding all these parts to the Sightron will increase the price by an extra $200+.

From a few of the top shooters in South Africa (a few of them have been top 10 at Worlds) that use both the Falcon and Sightron's, they rate the Falcon on par or slightly better than the Sightron. The advantage of the Sightron is that it could be used on centrefire rifles too, where the Falcon is specifically built for FT and does not focus past 100 yards. Also, the Sightron's turrets are nicer to me - more positive clicks. And the Sightron has a better selection of reticles. But that WILL change sometime in future, as Falcon will eventually have their reticles etched onto the glass as well, allowing way finer reticles to be used. When that will happen is not known at this stage.

A good friend of mine on the UK and definitely a VERY well informed person on airguns and optics (he's one of only 2 guys to convert Anschutz, FWB and Walther LG400 rifles to 12 Ft LBS), rates the Falcon better than the Sightron and way better than the Big Nikkos - and from personal use, I would agree with that. Not because I sold them (as I also sold the Sightron scopes), but because I have used them side-by-side for quite some time and also from feedback of my buddies in SA that use both.

Initially when Sightron just launched the 10-50x60, they had only Fine Crosshair and Target Dot crosshair scopes available. I started e-mailing Alan and asked for a Mil-Dot reticle. Many, many emails and phone calls followed, and a few months later I eventually met with Alan Orr and their 2 Japanese engineers from the factory at IWA at the Sightron booth. Alan gave in, and 3 months later the first Mildot reticle was available. I asked Alan numerous times thereafter to make the dots smaller and the reticle thinner.

This was one of the e-mails from Alan to me back in March 2010....

Sent: 27 March 2010 09:42
To: 'Robert Stewart'
Subject: RE: Sightron Reticle

Robert,

This is not a fast process. We have to design the reticle then make a mold then produce the reticles. How much more are they willing to pay for the custom reticle.

Alan

And then in May 2010 he decided to help me...

Sent: 11 May 2010 11:38
To: 'Robbie Stewart'
Subject: RE: 10-50x60 Scope

Robbie I am now requesting the factory to produce some Mil-Dot reticles in the 10-50 power for you. Please let me know how many you want as I don’t know how many to produce and I am asking only certain customers at this time.

Thanks

Alan

So I tried getting a thin reticle with smaller "dots", and this was Alan's reply in September 2010, after producing a "standard" MilDot reticle for us:

Sent: 07 September 2010 07:48
To: 'Robbie Stewart'
Subject: RE: Sightron

Hello Robbie,

As you and I discussed prior to starting this project, Mil-Dots are built to a specification so if you make them a different size they are not mil- dots but something else. Remember we had this discussion before we made these. A mil dot is about 23mm at 50X at 50 meters. What kind of reticle are you looking for? How about one of these attached?

Alan

They then came up with the LRIRMOA reticle and later LRIRMH reticle.

So, I have quite an in-depth knowledge of the Sightron scopes - I like them a LOT. If price was no issue, I would probably buy the Sightron over the T50 Falcon, but they are not necessary "better" given that they cost so much more money, and come without any of the included accessories the Falcon T50 comes with.

I now have been shooting a March scope (8-80x56) since September 2010, and I will not buy something else again. BUT, it's NOT worth all the extra money IMHO. And again, I cannot say my March is BETTER than a Falcon T50. The T50 ranges like the best there is - yes the March scopes have better optics, but it will NOT "out-rangefind" the Falcon T50 - period!!

The Falcon T50 scopes are widely used by some top shooters in SA ranging in temps from 4 degrees to 38 degrees, and we have NOT seen any temp shifts. Something my Sightrons had from time to time, and the S&B's suffer from totally.

Anyway, again just my views, so use it, don't use it. :) Not trying to bash any scopes - but some are just better for FT than others.

rocker45

Post by rocker45 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:36 pm

This is all great info foe us greener people in the air gun sport
It is very much appreciated
Thanks to all that posted info
And please do add any other ideas / opinions and self learned knowledge [ hope that make sense ]
Brian

Globalstar66

Post by Globalstar66 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:15 am

Brian

In my opinion, there are basically 2 scopes in the "mid price level" that work really great - Sightron SIII 10-50x60 and Falcon T50. The new silver T50 is $800 supplied with custom 125mm sidewheel, custom top turret cap, flip-up eyepiece and objective lens caps, yardage sticker kit, 2 x 50mm sunshades. The basic Sightron SIII 10-50x60 is around the $1100 mark in the US and the IR version is around the $1250-$1300 level in the US but is scope only. NO custom FT turret cap, no sidewheel, no flip-up lens covers, no sunshades, no yardage marking stickers.

Top end, I would stay FAR away from S&B FT, as they have serious known issues on MOST (but not all units) - so much so that York Guns in the UK gave up their S&B agency, and the UK does not have an S&B agent anymore. I had several meetings with Herr Karl-Heinz Gerlach (CEO of S&B)... Let's just leave it at that - I don't want to post more info on that on an open public forum. :)

Other top-end scopes that I really like is the March 10-60 and 8-80 scopes - but they cost a bit of money.

Entry level, the guys have good results with ZOS 10-40x60 scopes (under $250 on Ebay) but not the greatest clearest optics, but rangefinds acceptably. I would say as a minimum for good range-finding ability, get at least a 32x mag. So Hawke 8-32 works quite OK.

Big Nikko is a big No-No to most in South Africa and in the UK these days, as back-up service from the Chinese Parent company is almost non-existent. So if it works, it's good - when it breaks (and quite a few of them have), then it's a different issue altogether.

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:07 am

This thread is so timely for me as I am in the process of choosing my next FT scope. I appreciate any input that is based on personal knowledge or knowledge from reliable sources. When someone lays out the money for one of the higher end scopes, mistakes hurt in more than one way. Hopefully in the next month or so, I will be able to look through the two scopes you recommended, Robbie, and make an educated decision based on what I see and reports by those with experience with these scopes out in the elements.

Thanks for all the info posted and thanks to Brian for asking the question that makes us all pay close attention to the answers.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

jgoodz

Post by jgoodz » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:34 am

I really like the looks of the new silver Falcon T50 and it sounds like a lot of people are really impressed with what you get for the price...

rocker45

Post by rocker45 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:21 pm

Please let us know what you think of the scopes when you get a chance to look through them Tim
Get some pics too - if you can
And thanks to everyone for the great info
Brian