Scopes

Post by rocker45 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:41 pm

Hi All
Being that I am greener than green in this sport - I was wondering
What scopes everyone was using
I have 2 Leapers 8-32x56 on my S410's
And a Hawke 6-24x50 Eclipes30SF on my TX200
Now I know these are far from the best scopes
And I am very interested in hearing what the FT shooters are using on the rifles
So - please post what you have for optics on your FT rigs
Thanks
Brian

bjp

Re: Scopes

Post by bjp » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:55 am

I use a hawke on my Air Arms MPR and I think it's a great scope. I also use a Falcon T50 that's twice the price it not twice the scope (IMHO). Both are clear but I a tuly prefer the turrets on the Hawke asthe licks are more positive.

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:22 am

Well, Brian, I have a mishmash of scopes on various guns. My Steyr is wearing the Deben Night-Teck 10-50 side focus scope and that will be my main gun this season. It seems to range find along with the best of them, as I have shot matches with Don, using his S&B and we are always within a yard of each other.

On my backup gun will be a Leupold 8.5-25X that was modified by Premier Reticle to 14.5-35X. The clarity of this scope amazes me. Len made a larger ring and pointer for the front bell that aides with range finding. Heat does affect scopes, but it is fairly predictable with certain temperatures making it easily manageable.

I have an older Vortex, 1" tube, 6-24X mil-dot scope on my FWB300 that I have used in Hunter and will use in WFTF Piston this year. Its range finding ability is not up to the Deben of Leupold, but has been quite adequate for me. I do not click this scope, I just use the dots for aiming points. I am still refining my hold chart for this scope, but have high hopes for a fun match or two with it after the Nationals.

My hunter rig wears a Bushnell 6500, 2.5-16X with mil-dot reticle. This scope is very bright and the side focus translates to very easy focusing on the target. I used it once in the open PCP class and it ranges amazingly well for a 16X scope. I scored a 50/60 which made me very happy.

As far as scopes go, in Canada, the division that really relies on a scope is the WFTF. The hunter division does not allow range finding with the scope and the open division allows you to use a separate range finder if you choose. So if you have a scope that allows you to see the target well and see your cross hairs in these divisions, you should do fine. I would add that a good multi-aimpoint reticle is very handy in hunter division and may become vital if clicking the scope becomes a no-no in the division.

In WFTF division a great deal depends on the performance of your scope. Finding the target, focusing clearly in a variety of lighting situations which allows you to range accurately and having the cross hairs or whatever aim point you have always visible are very important. If the scope is weak in any of these areas, it can cost you shots. At the top of the classes, you do not have to miss many to be out of the running.

At the Port club we have shooters that use March, S&B, Leupold, Sightron, Deben, Falcon, Hawke, Votex, Leapers, Centerpoint, Bushnell, Fitco, Tasco, BSA, Millet, Simmons and I am sure others I cannot think of at the moment. The scope helps, but the deciding factor is usually how well prepared the individual is with the equipment they have. Dean won the open pcp class a couple of times using a modified QB with a Leapers 8-32X. He won because he took the time to set up his rig so he knew where to aim for every yard, calibrated the scope accurately to range find and practiced so he could hold the aim where he wanted.

The biggest part of a winning combination is the pilot. The best guns and equipment are pretty useless without us.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

Leonardj

Post by Leonardj » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:43 pm

I use Bushnell optics pretty much exclusively anymore.
I use the Elite 6500, 4200, or 3200 series scopes on my FT/target guns, and the Trophy, or Banner series on my hunting/sporting guns.

A lot of folks don't care for the forward focus ring, and prefer the side focus, but for my shooting style, the forward focus isn't a hindrance.
The resolution of ranging marks can be a bit more tedious with the forward focus scopes, as opposed to the large sidewheels that are mounted to most side focus scopes, but again, it is not an insurmountable handicap.
http://ftcentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14

rocker45

Post by rocker45 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:02 pm

Thanks Fellows
I have some homework now - looking up scopes
I like my Leapers but find the Hawke to have a better crosshair [ more visable and blacker ] - if this makes sense
The only bad thing is the magnification tops out at 32 - that I have seen anyway - on both Leapers and Hawke
I would like to get something stronger
Though - stronger the scope = more heat issues - ??? - would this be correct
Also - 56 seems the best for light on the 2 - hear again - I would like to find something stronger
Perhaps this is wrong thinking though
I had a Simmons - could not see the cross hairs when I got good focus on the target
I like the side wheel best - had the front ones [ still do ] - just find the sidewheel easier to use
Got some levels [ scope ] coming from Dave at the next meet.
So - I can at least get my scopes straight - :oops:
bjp - what power of scope is your FalconT50
Leonardj - wow - that is a beautiful rifle / set-up you have
Mac - the list of scopes - I will be busy tonight
Mac - out of all the scopes you have - if you could only keep one - which one would it be
I agree 100% - shooter and gear - need to be one [ so to speak ]
Once it warms up some - I will be getting out in the yard and getting my scopes set-up to my rifles
I do want [ and need one more anyway ] to get a good scope
Just have no idea what to get - :?
Anyway - thanks much for all the info
Brian

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:40 am

"Mac - out of all the scopes you have - if you could only keep one - which one would it be"

That is a tough question. What I would most likely do is sell all I have and pick up a Sightron, the one second from the bottom on the link.

http://www.4scopes.com/sightron_SIII_index.htm

If not that one, then maybe a S&B FT scope.

If I was restricted to just one of mine, it would be a toss up between the Premier Leupold 14.5-35X and the Deben 10-50X. The Leupold is my clearest scope and lightest weight, but the Deben has the side focus and illuminated mil-dot reticle which make it easy to use and versatile.

Tough choices. Once I have the gun I want, all my available cash goes into the scope and the pellets that shoot the best. I have done that, now I have to work on me; talk about a tough job.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

biagio36

Post by biagio36 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:40 am

I recently bought a Nikko Stirling 10-50 power
Really good scope. The power adjustment was really stiff, until I opened it and discovered that the tighting screw was too long and scraped on the tube. I shortend the screw and now it works great and smooth

Biagio

jgoodz

Post by jgoodz » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:39 am

biagio36 wrote:I recently bought a Nikko Stirling 10-50 power
Really good scope. The power adjustment was really stiff, until I opened it and discovered that the tighting screw was too long and scraped on the tube. I shortend the screw and now it works great and smooth

Biagio

I also use a Nikko 10-50x60mm on my EV2 when shooting WFTF, excellent scopes...

I have started to use Hawke Varmint SF (6-24x44MM 1/2MD) scopes exclusively as my "regular scopes" for hunting, HFT and just about anything that needs a good reliable scope (which is every gun I own that doesn't already have a scope ;) ). They are very clear, they are also very light for SF scopes, the 6-24 weighs 521grams (1.15 lbs) and the 4-16x44mm weighs 505 grams (1.113 lbs) the focus is also surprisingly responsive/accurate, for the money they are hard to beat IMO. I would put them up against any scope I have ever seen/used for $200-$220

bjp

Post by bjp » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:43 pm

The T50 is a 10 X 50. I like it but if I was buying a scope today I think I'd buy the Sightron. After spending some time at the Sightron booth at the SHOT show I can say that I'm impressed.

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:25 am

I may get to look through a Sightron tomorrow if George's schedule allows him to come out and play with us at Burlington. I had a brief look through it in the Fall, but it is now mounted on a gun and much easier to look through and draw conclusions. I really like the lighted dot in the MOA II reticle that helps you focus on the reticle rather than the target.
Tim
CAFTA Governor