Versatile ld/SS

Mac
Site Admin

Versatile ld/SS

Post by Mac » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:21 pm

I have not used the ld/SS in a match since 2007, so I thought it was time to dust it off, change the set-up to make it work for the hunter class and see how it and I do in the Fudd match this year.

After changing out the valve seal that has been in there since 2000 and has seen many thousands of shots for the seven years I used it often, the velocity now sits at about 890 fps with Crosman Premier 10.5 pellets. The gun was designed and tuned to shoot these pellets and I still have a stash of the good old lot numbers.

The FT riser was was taken off the gun and the Steyr fore-stock piece was used to get it down low. I removed the hook and thigh rest as well. The scope is a Vortex 6-24 mil-dot that is set to 16X.

I started shooting and was sighted it for 10 yards to be at the fourth dot when I stopped and thought that if I created the ideal chart in Chairgun first, I would know exactly the distance below zero that it would hit at 10 yards. It turned out that the distance would be 1.1" low at 10 yards. I put the blue line down exactly 1.1" from the dotted line through the bull of the target. I shot twice and found where it was hitting, which was a little high as can be seen in the pic of the target. The shots to the left where the ones I took before deciding to take some of the guesswork out and use Chairgun. I dialed the scope down the number of clicks I thought would be needed and took two shots that went into the same hole on the line. My hold spot turned out to be just above the fourth dot down. So, using my aim-point that I just figured out, I aimed at the centre of the bull and you can see the result. I love this gun.

When I head out to the club, I will be finding my near and far zero points, which should be at 25 and 36 yards and then will shoot at five yards- intervals from 10 to 55 in order to get all my aim points. I will do aim points for every yard from 10 to about 17, since the change is so drastic up close and from there on out, every five yards will be fine. If it works out like Chairgun suggests, I should be able to hold dead centre from 20 to about 42 yards and keep everything within .75" vertically. That seems easy.

Now to find the time to get out and shoot.
ldSS Hunter.jpg
ldSS Hunter.jpg (2.15 MiB) Viewed 262 times
ldSS zero set.jpg
ldSS zero set.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 262 times
Attachments
ldSS Hunter pic.jpg
ldSS Hunter pic.jpg (2.21 MiB) Viewed 262 times
Tim
CAFTA Governor

pirellip

Re: Versatile ld/SS

Post by pirellip » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:49 am

Very nice Tim! Though it looks like she's hitting about 0.003" too low ;)
Tom
CAFTA Governor

Mac
Site Admin

Re: Versatile ld/SS

Post by Mac » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:18 pm

Ya, I tried to hold about .003" higher on the bull, but it looks like I overshot and went up about .010". :oops:

Or I can blame shooter error, which is certainly more believable. :(
Tim
CAFTA Governor