RAW HM1000 Target Rilfe

grenade

RAW HM1000 Target Rilfe

Post by grenade » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:22 pm

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with this rifle?

Pros and Cons?

I want to get into Field target shooting, and this looks like a good choice. It's a little bit more expensive than a AA HFT 500 ( My other choice). It looks as though it's better made than the AA.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Junaid

Mac
Site Admin

Re: RAW HM1000 Target Rilfe

Post by Mac » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:33 am

Hi Junaid

We have a couple of fellows that run the Ottawa Club that shoot TM1000 rifles and do very well. The HM1000 is basically the old Rapid design, but with the side-lever added, it should be even easier to use.

We have a fellow at Port that loves the Rapid action and has been shooting them for over 10 years with great success. All aspects of the gun have been improved, the trigger, the action, the regulators, stocks and so on. The one thing that has always been there is the accuracy. I shot a Theoben 17 back a few years and won my share of matches with it.

Put some nice glass on it and the gun will contend if the shooter does his part. That's always the catch. Good luck.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

grenade

Post by grenade » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:12 pm

Thanks Tim,

What sort of scope would you recommend for a Field Target riles like the TM100?

Junaid

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:11 am

I will assume you are talking about Open or WFTF divisions as opposed to hunter. Depending on your budget of course, I would go with at least a Falcon T50, that for the price is a lot of scope. Moving up, there are the Sightron scopes that many FT guys are using, including a couple on the Canadian Team.

This one:

http://www.4scopes.com/sit-25004.html

Moving up from there, the scopes will cost a lot more than your gun. The S&B FT or one from the March line of scopes.

If you do intend to start in hunter class, any decent 4-16 scope that has mil-dots will do the trick. Some like a lighted reticle, others do not.

One I forgot to mention was the Aeon line of scopes, which are gaining in popularity. See below:

http://www.topgun-airguns.com/AEON-SCOPES_c_10.html
Tim
CAFTA Governor

pirellip

Post by pirellip » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:22 am

Tim gave you a bunch of Pros, so I'll point out some potential Cons.

Really the only 'big' one is that it is BIG. I've never owned one, but have shot them, and you don't have to worry about accuracy - it's as accurate as the rest of them.

But some people, including me, find it a bit too large and unweildly. All personal fit though, and I'd recommend not rushing into a purchase (like I keep doing!) until you've had a chance to come to a match and try a bunch of guns. I've yet to hear of anyone not letting another shooter handle/shoot their rig when asked!
Tom
CAFTA Governor

grenade

Post by grenade » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:28 am

Tom,
Thank you. You make a very good point..Try before you buy. But, like you I haven't done so. I can't remember one rifle or shotgun that was tried first. The three air rifles I was interested in for FT are the Daystate MK4 Target, the Air Arms HFT 500 and the RAW HM100o FT. My first choice is/was the Daystate, but I've been told the electronics can go and are expensive to fix. I have bought an Air Wolf .25 Tactical, and I'll tell you this...If I could use that rifle for target shooting,,,my search would be over . I can consistently cut strings, twigs, leaf stems at 50 yards with it. So I thought that the RAW would be a bomb proof option. I have not tried the Air Arms 900, but they were having a lot of teething problems with the rifle. Even though it looks big and bulky, the one I handled fit me very well.

I'm a member on a few forums, and most manufacturer forums have complaints on how the Daystate and Air Arms quality control is down the tubes. I haven't been able to find one negative post on quality control about the RAW HM1000. If it is mechanically sound, i can make adjustments to the stock so the fit isn't going to be an issue.

I would like to stick to Brithish air rifles if possible and the Raw has it roots with Theoben, so that works for me. The German air rifles are very well made, and I love my FWB 300 Universal. They just come across as being a little utilitarian to me. I'm probably not putting it well. To me the Styer looks more like an implement(function) than a work of art.

Junaid

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:16 pm

I had the same aversion to the Steyr rifles, until I actually got to shoot one and make it fit me. The first thing I found was that I could get it to fit me, which is not easy. I look at all my guns as implements or tools if you will. As a FT shooter, the implements that make it easiest to knock targets down are the ones I want. So of all things, I ended up with a Steyr as my main gun.

The link below is a bit of my story about becoming an admirer of the Steyr FT rifle.

http://ftcentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=610
Tim
CAFTA Governor

pirellip

Post by pirellip » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:41 pm

Junaid,

I've owned quite a few Daystate rifles, including a Mk3, Mk4 and I currently have their Grand Prix. I wouldn't worry about the electronics.

Have you decided what division of FT you want to shoot in? While you could use the same rifle for Open or HFT, they're two different styles, and as for WFTF, it'll be a sub 12fpe rifle.

Also, have you thought about buying used? I've bought just about all of my rifles used from the US, great deals and never any issues.
Tom
CAFTA Governor

bjp

Post by bjp » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:18 pm

As an owner of a RAW TM1000 (12ft/lb version) that I use for FT I can tell you that the overall build quality is excellent. I've had it for 2 years and the only problem I had was induced by me but rectified by superior customer service from RAW. The gun is far more accurate than I'll ever be and I can tell you that any targets missed were my fault, not the equipment.

That being said, if I was to start over again I would go with the Steyr. As Tim said, the Steyr is much easier to "fit" to your body. I like the TM1000 but other than the buttplate & cheek riser there's no adjustability. I don't have a lot of airgun experience but do have powder burner experience so I know how important "fit" is.

It's also heavy ! I had the opportunity to try a local shooters Steyr and was very impressed ! I'm still tempted to switch for the upcoming year. Both Tom and Tim have enough experience that their advice is worth listening to.

dHb

Post by dHb » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:19 am

A trio of TM1000s in their natural habitat - 2014 Cross Catskills Challenge

Posting from the edge of Larose Forest, Eastern Ontario

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor
http://www.OFTA.ca
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Firearms ... 9022565004