FWB 300S Universal

Mac
Site Admin

FWB 300S Universal

Post by Mac » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:49 pm

I was lucky enough to pick up this rifle a few years back and even though the exterior is a little rough, it is all FWB when it comes to function. The Universal stock works very well for Ft and I added the Mac1 dog-bone riser with a knee rest I made myself. With the recoilless action, it shoots off the knee very well, so I can use the same shooting position I use with my Steyr. I have tried a variety of pellets, but have, at least for now, settled on the JSB Express pellets, using the batch that weighs 7.8 gr. It is shooting these pellets at an average of 715 fps after a power tune by Len. Thanks buddy. Not a power house, but it sure is accurate. All the shooting I have done has been from the sitting FT position and some offhand shooting.

Here are a couple of shots of the rifle.
Lt full.JPG
Lt full.JPG (1.4 MiB) Viewed 252 times
Rt Full.JPG
Rt Full.JPG (2.78 MiB) Viewed 252 times
Did some shooting at Burlington to get the aim points on the mil-dot scope and did this shooting from FT sitting position. I set the first dot below the centre as the 10 yard aim point and then proceeded from there. Once I had what I thought was the correct hold, I would shoot a group of at least three shots and sometimes more. This was done over two hours of sitting in this position, so I was not real steady by the end. You will spot a few that the jerk behind the trigger messed up on. The 35 yard target was a real mess so I took about a 4 or 5 minute break after that one. Also, there were rimfire shooters there , so the exhaust fan had to be on. It was blowing my shots left by a significant margin. For the 50 yard target, I was holding on the left side of the target to the right and still it would blow well left of the bull. You can also see on the middle distance targets often had a shot left and then I compensated right for the follow up shots. Keep in mind, I was more interested in the level of the shot up and down in order to set the aim points. One interesting point was the fact that the hold point for 50 yards was still not down to the centre of the crosshairs. I could not find any configuration on chairgun that would have the 10 yard shot hitting a quarter inch below the cross hairs and the 50 yard shot is still hitting above the crosshairs by about a half mil dot. I will stick with real world results for my chart.
FWB 300 sighting 2.jpeg
FWB 300 sighting 2.jpeg (2.6 MiB) Viewed 252 times
Still have some fine tuning to do on aim points and will do shorter shooting sessions to be sure I can do my part and not get shaky. Always a fun day shooting anyway.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

shoki

Re: FWB 300S Universal

Post by shoki » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:02 am

whoa mate, that hamster... is that your own design?

i LOVE when people pimp out 'old' rifles

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:55 am

The black metal bit came from my USFT and was made by Mac1 airguns in California. It was adapted to the rail by Len and the only part I made was the wooden part that sits on the knee. Not shown in the pics is the bottom of the wooden hamster that has been inlaid with dense foam and covered with leather. Maybe I will slip a picture of that in the post.

The materials and craftsmanship in these older FWB spring rifles is amazing for sure.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:04 pm

After sorting out some poi shifts I was having due to my own scope mounting error, the gun is shooting very consistently and accurately.

I used it in the CAFTA Nationals and the gun did fine. There are times when a gun can let you down with a broken spring, but this was a clear case of me letting the gun down. I was right in there after the first day and started well on Sunday. With my mind going 90 to be sure all was going well and food would be ready etc., I forgot a match basic. I simply did not drink anything until the break and I think that was a little late. I could not hold the gun steady like I had been doing on Saturday and early Sunday. I also made some range finding errors that were simply due to not taking the time to be sure. I am prone to this when I run matches, but seem to drink a lot when I am just a shooter at a match someone else is responsible to run. Silly, I know, and hopefully it is something that will not happen again.

I hit a few targets that would not fall with my 8.5 ft/lb powerhouse. Joel even caught one in a slow motion video. If it would have made any difference, I may have protested the target, but for me it was just a fun weekend. Besides, everyone was hungry, so why delay lunch, right.

I think I will continue to use it this season and work on what seems to be the week link. Me!!!

I have upgraded the scope to a Premier modified Leupold Mk4 with power of 35X. That is why I knew the range finding errors were a result of operator error.

So the story continues and I will update it from time to time. I am refinishing the Universal Stock and once done I will have the benifit of the extra weight and adjustable cheek piece.

To be continued.......
Tim
CAFTA Governor

pirellip

Post by pirellip » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:24 pm

Thanks for the update, let us know how you make out with the refinishing.
Tom
CAFTA Governor