My quest for "The" rig

Mac
Site Admin

My quest for "The" rig

Post by Mac » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:04 pm

I have always been pretty open to change and to new technology and accessories. That does not mean I run out and buy everything, but I will take a good look and try things out if I am fortunate enough to get the chance. One of my early FT aversions was to the Steyr; please do not ask me to explain it logically. I just thought I would never own one and did not for over ten years of shooting and trying different rigs.

I have owned and used a Pro Sport, a Ripley AR5, a TX200, a Daystate Harrier, a Theoben Rapid 17, an ld/SS, a USFT, a Walther Dominator, an AA400SL, an AA S410 Carbine and was loaned a few others. There are some great names in there, especially for the open class where 20 ft/lb was the desired power level. There were some guns that were more suited to the 12 ft/lb game and certainly some of those I wish I still owned, most notably, the Ripley. A few I still have and get them out for a shooting session from time to time. Most of the time I had to sell one to get the next one.

In 2011, I was waiting on a regulator for my Domi and a good friend, Tom, made me an offer I couldn’t refuse. He told me about an AZ Steyr he had that was not getting any use and it was set up for 12 ft/lb. He said I could use it for the season, set it up as I wish, which would give me a gun to use and he would get the gun back knowing the pellet to use and just what kind of accuracy to expect. We both got something out of it, but certainly I had the more pressing need to have a rifle to shoot. Thanks Tom.

I did as Tom suggested and set the gun to fit me perfectly, which is not an easy thing, as I have a bit of an unorthodox shooting position. Having the gun fit so well was the first eyebrow raiser for me.

I then went out with three weights of JSB pellets and a few different head sizes as well to do some shooting off a makeshift bench rest. I took the cone of the air stripper out to get baseline accuracy for the barrel using each pellet. All were pretty good, but the little 7.3 gr. RS was noticeably more consistent than the others. That was my first experience with the RS pellet and I was impressed. I then reinstalled the cone on the stripper and starting with the cone well out, began shooting five shot groups at 50 yards.

The groups continued to get smaller as I tapped the cone in about 0.030” +/- between each group. Yes, it was a fairly long session, but I was outdoors on a real nice day. When the pellets all started touching in the groups, I figured I would not press my luck and started shooting at other distances. I was shooting at 45 yards and had an amazing four shot group going, but a fruit fly landed on the edge of the cardboard, about an inch away from my group. I could not resist and had a short memorial service for the poor creature at the end of the shooting session.

With the gun set up as well as I could manage, I started shooting in matches, with almost immediate positive results. I took third at the NERFT match, only two shots behind Greg Sauve and Ray Appelles, who tied for first. I only missed six sitting shots over the two windy days, but my standing and kneeling results were dismal in a match where 24 points came from these lanes. So the gun, scope and pellet combo was great, but my inability on the discipline lanes was the problem.

I did get the regulator for the Domi the following spring, but shortly after saw an ad for a Steyr LG100 at a ridiculously low price. It was serial number 00271 with the nice old hammer forged barrel, so I was very pleased about that. Within a couple months, I had a Steyr and my Domi was out the door. Then came the help from another good friend. Since my Steyr was set up for 10M shooting, off it went to Don, the Steyr guy at our club. Don reset the regulator for 12 ft/lb and gave it a once over to see if everything was working well. I got it back shooting at about 11.7 ft/lb. Perfect! Thanks Don.

Now the fitting process began to turn a 10M setup into something for FT. The adjustable stock and butt plate make for easy changes there, but the knee riser was another story. I watched good Steyr shooters like Don and Greg and decided a new riser was in order. Enter another friend, Len, who can make it if you can draw it. I decided on a riser much like Don’s in function, but the pad is part of the riser. Len made it up for me in short order and it fit perfectly and improved my hold immediately.

Low setting

High setting

Especially on kneeling and standing shots, I noticed a real good hold against the shoulder is very helpful, but my compact hold on the gun resulted in the back of the gun wanting to rise up on my shoulder. I figured since all the top guys in the world have gone to butt hooks, who am I to disagree with their success. Of course, I could go out and buy a real high dollar butt and hook combo, but instead I talked to Len. I drew up what I was hoping for and Len made it appear. I flipped the butt on the Steyr so the movable flipper was pointing down and Len fabricated the new piece to take its place and attach the hook to. This piece and hook look like they belong and blend beautifully into the rig. Even the concave section on the bottom sits perfectly on my thigh in my somewhat strange sitting position. Thanks Len.

Now I guess I have to start shooting the discipline positions to improve that weak part of my game. So I have my winter project, which is improving me to the point where I can make the rig proud.

A great feature of the Steyr is for short term storage and travel in a nice compact case.

Tim
CAFTA Governor

Leonardj

Re: My quest for "The" rig

Post by Leonardj » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:26 pm

Excellent write up on your adventures of discovery with the Steyr LG100.
That rig of yours is looking slicker with each iteration of the dial-in process.
Someone will be eagerly anticipating the beginning of the 2014 FT season. :D

BTW, that's a cool looking air stripper you got there too. ;) :)

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:59 pm

I knew I would forget something.

After hearing Don describe the results he had with his air stripper, I thought that was something I needed as well. So I called Len, of course, and before you knew it, I had one on the end of my rifle.

A day at Burlington shooting off the bench resulted in which pellet I should use and what accuracy I could expect. The pellet turned out to be the JSB 7.9 Express and the accuracy was just over .3" at 51yard, averaging my last three groups. Not too shabby.

I'll add more to the story after I do some offhand and kneeling shooting.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

jgoodz

Post by jgoodz » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:03 pm

Great write up about a great rifle 8-)

pirellip

Post by pirellip » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:36 pm

Great write up Tim. You've really stepped up your game, you deserve a top notch rig. It's nice for me knowing I just have to slap a scope on my Steyr and it's good to go.

Who'd you sell your Ripley too? Is it still in Canada?
Tom
CAFTA Governor

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:32 am

I sold it in 2000 to someone, no idea who. California rings a bell but not sure. At that time, in Canada, probably only Dennis or I would buy a pcp like the Ripley.
Tim
CAFTA Governor