TX200SR Mk1

pirellip

Re: TX200SR Mk1

Post by pirellip » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:06 pm

"All good things come to those that wait."

Aren't you glad you didn't buy mine? I don't think mine would pass that test.
Tom
CAFTA Governor

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:41 am

It is interesting how things work out sometimes. I ended up shooting with Jerry at the Crosman and some RBFTC matches a few times when he used the SR. I didn't think much of it until I had some problems with the mount on my Mk2 while shooting with Jerry and a fair time later I saw the ad on the classified pages. Still I took a long time to make up my mind and pull the trigger on the deal. I had just sold about $800 worth of gear and figured that would be a great investment. The way the gun has performed has made me work harder on getting better, so win-win.

Looking forward to a couple of higher intensity/pressure matches to see how myself and the gun work. So much fun at those matches that you can't lose regardless of your personal outcome. I now find it much easier to relax and enjoy the experience at the big matches and that certainly helps.

Hopefully these steps will all lead to a positive experience next year if it works out that I can head to the FT homeland for the 2019 World match.

I may be looking for a backup gun as time goes by. ;)
Tim
CAFTA Governor

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:32 pm

I have been doing some shaping over the last few day and although I have a way to go, it is starting to take shape. I have to do more blending where the two pieces of wood meet and some trimming of the butt and butt spacer as can be seen in the pic. Another few hours shaping and I will probably install the cheek riser hardware. I put the hook on just to see how it feels and although I did not mount the action, it feels good on the shoulder and cheek. Once all the shaping is done and hardware fitted, I will finish it with True Oil, since that is what Jerry told me was on it. Once I get a couple of coats on, I will see how well it blends with the existing finish. If I can blend it with ultra fine steel wool and it looks good, then I will just continue the process. If it does not blend well, then a complete refinish of the outer part of the stock will be the final step. Keeping my fingers crossed that I can complete all of this in the next four or five days.
Shaping Left Side.jpg
Shaping Left Side.jpg (3.2 MiB) Viewed 153 times
Tim
CAFTA Governor

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:15 pm

Getting closer. Think I am going to fit cheek riser hardware next and then do all the fine finishing before the Tru-Oil.

Now have sights set on Provincial Championship for completion.
m Back Left Cheek R.jpg
m Back Left Cheek R.jpg (2.11 MiB) Viewed 83 times
o Lt Knee R.jpg
o Lt Knee R.jpg (2.13 MiB) Viewed 83 times
Tim
CAFTA Governor

pirellip

Post by pirellip » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:57 pm

Just velcro the cheek piece on and shoot it at the Nats! (this suggestion is offered because we're shooting in the same division) ;)
Tom
CAFTA Governor

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:10 pm

Watch what you suggest. There is a hole straight through the bottom of the rear of the stock from what was a sling stud. In the post from July 4th, the cheek piece has a screw from the bottom holding it solid. I put a small blind pin at the front of the riser so it would not rotate at all. I did this so I could shape the stock and have the lines flow well from the main stock to the cheek piece.

Still, I will stick with the right handed stock until I can get the cheek piece up higher. Next year I will have the right handed stock all done up too, which will be much easier since I will not have to glue a piece on the butt part of the rifle. Of course, all of this hinges on how well the current project turns out and if it is a good fit for me.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

pirellip

Post by pirellip » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:47 pm

How about this: I let you use my SR this w/e and that'll let you get a feel for the stock. Then you can borrow my stock and use it as a pseudo-template for your stock project? (again this suggestion is based on you shooting in my division) ;)

Or I can bring just the stock for you to borrow for the winter.
Tom
CAFTA Governor