Macarri Stock for TX200 MkII

Forum rules
Mac
Site Admin

Macarri Stock for TX200 MkII

Postby Mac » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:23 pm

I finally managed to find a Macarri FT stock for my MkII action. I have been looking for one for many years, but looking seriously for the past year. I had to buy a couple of MkIIs to get the stock, but three of us all wanted something from the deal and everyone is happy.

The stock definitely transforms the look of the gun, but the feel is quite amazing as well. Picking it up for the first time, it seemed heavy until I shouldered it, at which time it seemed perfect. In the sitting position, I find shooting off my arm, with a shooting jacket on, seems very steady. I shoot my pcp off my knee and can do the same with the TX, but seem to get the best results off my arm. Will keep working on that to see the results on the targets when I can shhot at distance.

For now, I have an 6-24 Votex scope held in a high, adjustable, sport Match one piece mount. I just use the dots on the scope for now as I am not completely confident with the repeatability of using clicks for elevation. I do have a couple of Elite 8-32Xs or a Leupold 14.5-35X which could find their way onto this set-up. Now I looking forward to a shooting day at Burlington to see how thing work out to 50 yards plus.

A couple of picks of what I think is pretty nice wood.

Tim
CAFTA Governor

Leonardj

Re: Macarri Stock for TX200 MkII

Postby Leonardj » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:06 am

Sweet looking rig, with what I would agree is some very nice wood.
I can see why you would be itching to get it out for some extended range shooting.

Road trip? :lol:

Mac
Site Admin

Postby Mac » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:11 pm

Not many opportunities for a road trip in January; all dates are taken by other activities at Burlington. The 26th is a possibility, but I am not sure how the airgun and three position rimfire groups work out the lane use. I'll get in touch with John to find out.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

Mac
Site Admin

Postby Mac » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:25 pm

I put an Elite 8-32 on it last night. I have the Sport Match, one piece, high, adjustable mount on it, giving a scope height of 2.2". I took a couple shots at about 8M in my rec. room downstairs and only needed four clicks of windage to have it shooting dead on vertically and it was about a half inch low, which I would expect at that range. Will run the numbers in Chairgun and set the 10 yard mark on the turret, which usually gets me very close to having the gun shoot right on at the zero of 28 yards.

Now the hardest part of waiting until I can shoot it at long range. I do plan to do some 10 M shooting indoors, just to get use to sitting, standing and kneeling. Hope to do a match or two with this gun in 2014.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

Mac
Site Admin

Postby Mac » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:07 pm

I switched the scope to my Premier Leupold 14.5-35X and mounted it on the AA riser with Leupold Weaver rings, giving me a scope height of 2.5". It took some time to get it hitting paper and then zero it in at 25 yards, but in the end, I was keeping them within a half inch at 25 yards on the zero setting. That was from a sitting field target position, so I can live with that group until I do some practicing in the FT position.

Next a V-Mack tune kit, tune to ideal velocity and finally, lots of shooting. I really like the last part.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

Keyrigger

Postby Keyrigger » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:37 pm

That's a nice looking rig and one nice chunk of walnut. Good score on the stock.

Don

FTguy
Site Admin

Postby FTguy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:14 pm

Got to see that up close and personal yesterday, it is a real beauty.. Nice find Tim...
Shoot Safely, Shoot Often & Share Your Sport!

Mac
Site Admin

Postby Mac » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:36 pm

Continued:

I the time between this post and last, a few things have happened. The new kit is in the gun and it shoots smooth at just under the 12 ft/lb mark.

I mounted the Mk 4 Leupold, but did so over a Premier reticle sticker; my own stupidity there. Not the best hold for a scope on a springer.

Next came something that does not happen often on a TX200, the barrel got loose. It could actually be turned and wiggled by hand. Needless to say, accuracy and consistency was affected.

So I took the gun completely apart and cleaned up the threads on the breech end of the barrel and on the fastening nut. I applied the red loctite and used a hammer drill to tighten the threads. It should not get loose again. I have the action reassembled and ready to put back in the stock. Since I have the Mk 4 Leup on my FWB 300, I am going to mount the Premier Leupold 14.5-35 Mk 3. I hope yo get out in the next few days to find the zero again and do some accuracy and consistency testing. I still have the trusty Elite 4200, 8-32 to fall back on if the scope combination does not work out.

Hopefully I have eliminated the variables that caused inaccuracy, but with a spring gun, you just never know until you try it out. I think that "always on the edge" feeling you get when using springers is one of the things that appeals to me about their use. Call me crazy, but process has always appealed to me.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

Mac
Site Admin

Postby Mac » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:38 pm

The TX still has the Premier Reticle 14.5 - 35 on it and is holding POI quite well. Since the last update, I was fortunate enough to have George do his barrel lapping magic on in and then after a real good cleaning, I put as many pellets down the barrel as possible. It took me a while to get about 500 through it due to the continuation of settling into our new place.

In the past few weeks, I have been testing different pellets to see which one is best. It turned out that the JSB 8.4, 4.2 that I bought a sleeve of from Travis a couple of years back is the pellet of choice. I still have about 4500 of them, so that should last for maybe this season anyway.

In the past couple of days, the set-up of the scope chart has occupied all my shooting time. I have settings from 10 to 36 yards and a 50 yard setting too. This week, I will get settings for 40 and 45, then, with the use of Chairgun, I will fill in the other yardages. The difference at that range is generally one click per yard, so I am quite confident the chart will be accurate. I am not bothering with the 55 yards setting, since I will be changing the scope to a Sightron as soon as I take possession of it.

This Friday, I will head to Niagara and will shoot the gun Sunday at the Burlington match that has a max distance of 50 to 51 yards. My biggest holdback is my own inexperience shooting a recoiling spring gun. I find the gun very accurate when I am able to have a very consistent hold and trigger release. The gun reminds me promptly when I make a small variation. I like that instant feedback and I hope it will lead to a very precise process in my mind that helps me achieve that consistency needed.

Will let you know how that turns out.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

pirellip

Postby pirellip » Wed May 03, 2017 11:52 am

Thanks for the update on your progress Tim, it's great to hear that you've settled in at your new home and can get back to this fun hobby!

you, Joel, Mike Clements, Ted and I are shooting WFTF Piston on Sunday. I know Joel has been spending time shooting, and I know Mike and I haven't touched our rigs in many months! Ted is Ted - he can sit down after not shooting his TX in years and still pull off a win - so Sunday's match should be very interesting!
Tom
CAFTA Governor

Return to “Field Target Rigs”