Ontario Provincials Update -Pics Added-

Schedules, Results and Pictures
Hunkaluv

Ontario Provincials Update -Pics Added-

Post by Hunkaluv » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:20 pm

Hi all,
I'm still waiting on confirmation of the venue before i get to the details. Grenville shooting club seems to be the ideal location as it has a clubhouse, shelter, washrooms etc and a 36 target course that's already set up. So far i have 13 people who are confirming attendance, and most are willing to be grouped into whatever category will generate the most "competition". (Dean you're the only one in Open Pcp, but you shoot so fast no one could possibly keep up to you anyway.) I was also thinking to add a "gunslinger" type event, (basically a speed event) where you have to knock down more targets than the person you're paired up against.
There will be likely be a registration fee of around $25 to offset the cost of some post shooting pizza (or something) and some prizes.

Apologies for not having more to tell you at the moment, i'm hopeful that tomorrow i'll be able to get some more concrete details.
If it looks like this is going to bellyflop on me, at worst we can call it "regionals" and have a friendly match instead. Somewhere. Heck, i'll host it at my place, and we can call it the Quebec Provincials. :lol:

Stay tuned for more details and again apologies for not having more to tell you.

Ryan

FTguy
Site Admin

Re: Ontario Provincials Update

Post by FTguy » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:40 pm

Sometimes flying by the seat of your pants is more fun than not ... :D
However things unfold, it's sounding like there's going to be some fun to be had..

Cheers!
Shoot Safely, Shoot Often & Share Your Sport!

jgoodz

Post by jgoodz » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:00 am

Unfortunately I will not be making the trip, I am pretty busy at work, so I don't want to take much time off (just had over 2 weeks off last month) and at about 9hrs each way that will be a lot of driving for one day of shooting

Hunkaluv

Post by Hunkaluv » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:33 pm

Provincials are a go!

I've got confirmation that we can use Grenville shooting club for the event. Sight in and registration starts at 0800, match to start at 1000 or earlier if everyone's ready.

The cost for the event is $30, set by Grenville Shooting Club and goes toward target maintenance, facility upkeep and a meal following the event.
For the PCP shooters, i will have air available for you, up to 3000 psi.

After the shooters meeting, we'll start with the Gunslinger, it's basically a round robin event that will put springers vs springers and pcps vs pcps. You'll be paired up against someone and the first person to knock down his 5 targets will move on to the next round. When the Gunslinger is over, we'll get right into the FT course. There are already 36 targets set up, but we're going to add a few more on Saturday. It will probably be about a 70-80 shot course. It's possible we may time the lanes, but i don't yet if there are timers available.

After the shoot is finished, we'll tally up the scores and figure out the winners. Unfortunately, this is going to be a "prize less provincials", you'll get a pat on the back and a handshake, and probably your picture on the forums, but there just isn't time for me to get ribbons and medals sorted. However, Travis from Airgunsource has once again generously offered to donate some door prizes. Names will be drawn from a hat for the lucky winners, i'll give them to Travis in the order they were drawn and he'll mail out the prizes. I don't know how many he'll award, but i expect some of you will walk away happy.

It's worth mentioning that the Grenville club only allows 177 rifles on the course. The last time i was in the there the bugs were pretty bad, but i expect with the cooler nights we've been having it shouldn't be too bad.

At the moment we have the following competitors:

open pcp - 1
hunter pcp - 1
wftf pcp - 4 + ??
wftf piston - 2
hunter piston - 4

I have quite a few people that are question marks, so hopefully we see the numbers increase.

Some people have expressed a flexibility to change classes if required to make things more interesting.

I'll try to post more updates as we go, if there's anything that's not clear, please post and i'll try to figure it out.
Hey, first time match director with a week to get things organised, what could possibly go wrong? :oops:

Directions: http://www.grenvillefishandgame.com/Location.html

Hunkaluv

Post by Hunkaluv » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:55 pm

We've got the course set up and it's looking good. Nick, John, Denis and myself went in today and cleared lines, repaired or replaced targets and set up some interesting incline and decline shots. It'll be an 80 shot match, untimed. PCP shooters, if you can't get 80 shots out of your rig, we'll have an air station on the course.

We'll be starting out with the gunslinger event, with targets set out at 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 yards. First person to knock down his targets moves on to the next round.
(I mistakenly called this a round robin, it's actually an elimination event.) Top shooter for PCP and Springer division will each receive a scope enchancer imported and generously donated by John Birch.

The bugs weren't terrible today, but i'd bring some bug juice anyway. Water is a good idea too, it's going to be quite a long shoot.

0800 - site in range open and registration
0945 - shooters meeting (earlier if everyone is ready)
1000 - Gunslinger begins
~1100 - FT match begins
~1400 - Mob to Grenville shooting clubhouse to await Pizza, tally score cards etc
~1500 - Pull names for prize draw and posting of scores

I'll be on site for 0730 to iron out some final details. The weather is supposed to be nice for tomorrow, however there is a Tornado warning for the area overnight, so it's possible that some debris may have to be cleared prior to starting the match. We may ask everyone to help pitch in with this to speed up the process.

Hope to see you all there tomorrow,
Ryan

pirellip

Post by pirellip » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:11 pm

I'm really impressed Ryan - even though I can't attend, it's great to see that that this match is taking place!

Good Work and Have Fun tomorrow!
Tom
CAFTA Governor

Hunkaluv

Post by Hunkaluv » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:36 pm

Wouldn't have been possible without Nick Poll, John Bradley and Denis St.Jean. All i did was hit send on an email that took 30 seconds to write. :D

Hope to see you at FUDD!

jpb

Post by jpb » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:23 pm

Speed is fine but accuracy is final. You must learn to slow down in a hurry.

Hämmerli AR20FT
Canon Rebel XTi

pirellip

Re: Ontario Provincials Update -Pics Added-

Post by pirellip » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:17 pm

Great photos - thanks for sharing!
Tom
CAFTA Governor

Mac
Site Admin

Re: Ontario Provincials Update -Pics Added-

Post by Mac » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:03 pm

Looks like it was an awesome day. Thanks for the pics.

Venue looks great too. Will be checking it out in person before long.
Tim
CAFTA Governor