Ontario FT Provincials format?

Schedules, Results and Pictures
Forum rules
dHb

Ontario FT Provincials format?

Postby dHb » Sun May 18, 2014 8:34 pm

I'm looking for comments/suggestions regarding our first large match. We're going to be hosting the first Ontario provincial FT Championship in mid-September. Outside of our club most of the competitors will be making a 4-5 hour drive. I'm guessing that most from Toronto and beyond will travel on the Friday evening for the Saturday match. I imagine that many will drive home after the match to avoid paying for a second night in a hotel. I'm thinking that it would be good to make it a little bigger than our typical 60 shot match. We could probably make it a 70-80 shot event (each target being shot once) and still by done by late afternoon. Doing all of the lanes would cover about .5km on flat terrain. I'm hoping for 30-40 shooters.
Has anyone attended matches of this size and if so, how did it work out? Is it worth it to try to pack in a few more targets? Opinions of those who are actually likely to attend would be extra welcome!
Thanks
Posting from the edge of Larose Forest, Eastern Ontario

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor
http://www.OFTA.ca
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Firearms-Training/141569022565004

jgoodz

Re: Ontario FT Provincials format?

Postby jgoodz » Mon May 19, 2014 2:05 am

Dave, where is the info for this match? I think I should be able to make it up, need to start looking into accommodations and what not

pirellip

Postby pirellip » Mon May 19, 2014 12:07 pm

Perhaps a 75 shot match broken down into three 25 shot segments to all PCP shooters to refill.

Back in 2009 I shot a match in the US that was a morning and afternoon shoot, but I can't remember the number of shots on each, Tim will probably remember. I do know that it started fairly early in the morning though.
Tom
CAFTA Governor

pirellip

Postby pirellip » Mon May 19, 2014 1:16 pm

dHb wrote:IWe could probably make it a 70-80 shot event (each target being shot once) and still by done by late afternoon.

This would require 70-80 targets! Or are you planning on doing the same course twice? If you shoot the same target twice, things move a lot faster too.
Tom
CAFTA Governor

dHb

Postby dHb » Mon May 19, 2014 10:04 pm

Ideally it will be one shot per target.

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

Mac
Site Admin

Postby Mac » Mon May 19, 2014 11:44 pm

With the one shot per target format, which I am not arguing against, having three targets per lane would require 25 lanes to have a 75 shot match. With four targets per lane, you can do an 80 shot match on 20 lanes. Both of these formats would require the majority of your lanes to be at least 40 to 45 yards long, with a good number going out to 50 to 55 yards.

Since you pose the question, I assume you have or can get enough targets. Do you have enough lanes or the room to have that many lanes?

Shooting 40 shots, then moving targets to change the course is a possibility, but would require a good sized work force to pull it off in a limited time frame. It would also mean that the break would not really be a full break for a good number of individuals.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

dHb

Postby dHb » Tue May 20, 2014 10:46 am

Have done a preliminary layout with 24 lanes in the woods and have space for about 20 in the open. The targets seems to be reproducing as their numbers keep increasing...

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

bjp

Postby bjp » Tue May 20, 2014 12:29 pm

Having seen the available space/lanes there is the opportunity for a very challenging match. The open lanes provide the possibility of wind (and on occasion it's a good stiff breeze), the wooded lanes offer rolling terrain that will make ranging a challenge as well as many up or down angle shots (with some pretty good angles, as in 45 degrees). Bugs should be almost non issue in Sept (Dave and I were out there yesterday for 3 hours and there were at least a billion mosquitos but I managed to not get a single bite!! Deep woods off works). As for tank filling; we have at least 4 4500psi tanks here with Foster fittings that would be available on course for filling as required.

Shoot 36/40 targets on a morning course (say 10 or 12 lanes with 3 or 4 targets each) break for an hour lunch, and the same in the afternoon (a different 10/12 lanes) and we could/should be done by 3/3.30PM.

Given that the Nationals gets between 30 and 40 shooters I would figure we'd get about 20/25.

I like the idea of one shot per target and am pretty sure that we currently have between 40 and 60 good quality targets available right now so adding another 20 or so before Sept. is not a big deal.

The practice range can easily accomodate upwards of 30 shooters.

Mac
Site Admin

Postby Mac » Wed May 21, 2014 10:50 am

That sounds like a great place and the makings of a super match.

Please keep us informed, especially as plans get firmed up.

Thanks
Tim
CAFTA Governor

Return to “Match Information”