2014 CAFTA Nationals

Schedules, Results and Pictures
bjp

Re: 2014 CAFTA Nationals

Post by bjp » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:57 pm

Tim,

what time does the range open on Sat and what time does the match go ?

Brian

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:55 pm

Several are camping at the club, so the sight in should be ready around 7:30 AM, shooters meeting at 9:45 and the match starts at 10:00 AM.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:28 pm

Canadian National Field Target Association Championship
Hosted by the Port Colborne Field Target Club on July 19th & 20th, 2014
Match Report by Tim MacSweyn

The 2014 CAFTA Nationals is in the books and even some wet weather could not dampen the high spirits of those that participated. We had a shooter from BC, one Quebec, three from the Ottawa area and two from NY State, so the “Nationals” in the title of the event is becoming a better descriptor. The match difficulty was a little up as most assume this match will be tough. Using only the distance and hit zone size, the Red Course calculated out at 34.5T and the White Course at 33.3T, giving a fair balance between the courses. There were lots of small hit zones, but also a good number of full zones out near 50 yards and beyond. Most had competed in the Nationals at least once, but for a half dozen of the shooters, it was their first Nationals event.
We had a perfect day for set-up and sight-in on Friday, with sunny skies and a mild breeze. Quite a few took advantage of the time to sight-in and get some practice in as well. We had supper at Minor’s Fisheries, which has become an annual highlight, even though we were lined up out the door. I think we will put an order together and phone it in early for next year. Many went back to the clubhouse to do more shooting or socialize and a number of people camped out and to be serenaded by the coyotes during the night.
Saturday morning started out with drizzle and that is how it went for most of the shooting. The forest canopy probably filtered out over 50% of the rain, leaving it somewhat wet but most seemed not overly affected by it. The fun factor was evident and lots of laughter could be heard the whole time. There were some good races going on by the end of the day as you can see by the Saturday scores that are starred on the results chart.
Sunday started out cloudy, with no rain and very slowly cleared as the day progressed. By the time all the shooting was done, the sun was shining brightly. Some shot consistent with their first day, while others improved or struggled. Three that were ahead after day one ended up winning their class and two had to come from behind to win their class. The difficulty did take a toll, with the top score in the event being 106/120 in the non-hunter classes and 180/240 in the hunter classes. This also led to something that rarely happens in the larger matches, no shoot-offs. This may not be quite as exciting, but it does get you to the food and awards sooner.
The shooting was all over by 1:30PM and the food arrived at 2:15 PM, giving many an opportunity to pack up their guns and shooting gear. The match awards were presented after we finished eating and then three rounds of drawing names for the free prize table took place. Many recouped their match fee and more with the prizes they were able to select. The final event was the drawing of the winning ticket for the Gamo Dynamax PCP rifle that Air Gun Source donated to the event. Only one individual bought two tickets for the draw and didn’t the second ticket that he bought get pulled as the winner. Congratulations to Chris, who went home even happier than he always does from every shooting event he attends.
I would like to thank all that attended the match from all over the country and from the US. Thanks to my wife, Angie, who helped in so many ways on the lead up to the match, during and after. Thanks to Deb and Janis for their help during the match and at meals. Thanks to the guys that did a super job setting up targets for a tough, but balanced course. Thanks to the guys that camped for looking after the place and having the sight-in targets ready to go each morning. Thanks to Sylvain and Brian’s wives for guarding the clubhouse while we were out shooting. Things meshed quite well because of the number of people willing to chip in.
Thanks to the Burlington FT Club, Port Colborne FT Club, Marshall, Dean and Air Gun Source for donating some great items to the Prize table. A lot of nice items were distributed to the participants.
I hope many are making plans to return to the Nationals next year and the date will be published very soon. Next up is the very first Ontario Provincial Championships to be hosted by the Ottawa FT Club on September 13th. I look forward to seeing lots of friends there and making some new friends
Keep those rigs and yourself in top shooting shape for whatever is next for you.

Here is the chart of results with the difficulty ratings for each course and the match average.

CAFTA Nationals 2014 Results Chart
Difficulty rating... Red course-34.5....White course-33.3...Two Day Average- 33.9
Rank...Name...Red Course...White Course...Total...Rifle...Scope...Pellet

.....WFTF Piston...../60... /60.../120
1...Tom Peretti**....34*....45.....79....HW77K....Leupold Comp 45....JSB 8.4
2...George Harde**..34*....40.....74....TX200.....Sightron 10-50.......JSB 8.4
3...Joel Goodwin....32*....39.....71....TX200.....Bushnell 8-32.........JSB 8.4
4...Mike Clements...36*....32.....68....HW77K....Bushnell 8-32.........RWS SD
5...Jeff Hemming...23*....24.....47....TX200.....Sightron 10-50........JSB 8.4

.....WFTF PCP
1...Tim MacSweyn**.51*....49....100...Steyr LG100..Falcon T50.........JSB 7.9
2...Ted Gibson**.....46*....51....97....AA S410....Bushnell 8-32.........JSB 8.4
3...Dave Bartlett.....47*...44.....91...RAW TM1000..Falcon T50.........JSB 8.4
4...Brian Milne.......41*....37....78...RAW TM1000..Falcon T50.........JSB 8.4
5...Sylvain Levasseur. 24*...20....44...Steyr LG110FT..Sightron 10-50...JSB 8.4

Open PCP
1...Don Irvine**......54*....52....106..Steyr LG110FT..S&B FT.............JSBH
2...Len Joe..........49*....56.....105..FWB P70 FT...Bushnell 6-24........JSBH
3...Dean Leite**....46*....42.....88...Steyr LG110FT..Deben 10-50.......H&N
4...Dennis Eden **...44*....34*....78...AA FTP900....S&B FT.............JSB 8.4

.....Hunter Division../120../120 ../240
PCP
1...Sean McDaniel....88.....92*....180 ..Cr Marauder...Hawke 3-12........JSBH
2...Chris Holmes.....88.....86*....174..Brocock Concept..Hawke 4-12.....22 JSBJ
3...Marshall Doan....81.....86*....167..Cr 2240...Centre Point 4-16.......22 Cr Mag
4..Sydney McDaniel..80.....77*....157..Cr Marauder...Hawke 3-12.........JSBH
5...Jess Costin.......81.....73*....154..AA S400...Hawke 6-24..............JSBH
6...Tony Moosie.....71......72*....143..AA MPR 400 FT...Hawke...........JSB 8.4
7...Jack Benard.....51...Absent..51 DNF...Ben. Discovery..Leapers 4-16...CPH

Piston
1...Larry Carroll....84.....80*.....164...TX200...Bushnell 5-15.............JSB 8.4
2...James Liu.......78.....82*.....160...TX200 MkIII..Hawke 3-12..........Cr 7.9
3...John Ripchinsky.83....71*.....154...HW97...MTC Optisan 4-16.........JSB 8.4
4...John Hoffner....81....68*.....149...HW98...UTG 4-16...................JSBH
5...Curtis Christian.79....64*.....143..AA TX200 HC....Bushnell............JSB

Junior Hunter
1...Josh Benard.....44..Absent..44 DNF...Ben. Discovery..Leapers.4-16....CPH

* Course shot on Saturday.... ** Set up lanes.... US shooter – Italics
Tim
CAFTA Governor

bjp

Post by bjp » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:59 pm

Thanks to Tim and all the crew for putting on an excellent match.

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:44 am

Air Gun Source came through once again for the FT community. Travis showed up on Sunday with lots of goodies to sell and if that was not enough, he left a ton of gear for the prize table for this years match. Included was a .177 Gamo Dynamax PCP rifle and a Webley break barrel springer. He left paper targets, field targets, pellets, AA shirts and many things I have not named.

We raffled of the PCP rifle and it was won by Chris, the only one who bought two tickets. He may be heading to vegas soon! Congratulations, Chris.

A big thank you to Travis and Air Gun Source for your continued support of field target in Canada. It means a lot to us to have a dealer who pays attention to what the sport needs and does their very best to supply those products. Travis was out walking up and down the line during much of the match on Sunday, talking with many of us, showing that he is always a class act.

I hope to be squadded with him one day at a match; he could probably get his hands on a suitable rig. :lol:

Thanks Air Gun Source!!!!
Tim
CAFTA Governor

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:50 am

Don, representing the Burlington Field Target Club, generously donated a pistol, monopod, reactive targets and other goodies for air gun shooters. That pistol and monopod ended up with a junior shooter, ten years old, and that will be a very good investment for sure.

Marshall went out to local businesses and was able to drop quite a few items on the prize table, including a nice watch that Len and his wife, Janis, ending up picking up from the prize table.

Dean supplied some very nice shooting hats that are becoming very popular with the Ft crowd. "FTCentral.com" was embroidered on the back of the cap which of course increases their value big time. :D

Thanks Don, Marshall and Dean!
Tim
CAFTA Governor

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:16 am

Angie, my wife, was a huge help to me, taking a week holiday before the match to assist with all that has to be done in the days prior to the match. The things she does on match day frees me up to help others and even get a few sighing shots in before the match. Administrator, secretary, treasurer, banker, caterer, janitor and a constant smile and pleasant attitude towards everyone has made her an invaluable part of the match team. Thanks to my best friend!

Deb has become the official photographer for the club and looking at those pictures helps us keep the event alive in our memory. Deb also helps Angie with many of her tasks and I know Angie appreciates her a great deal.

Janis was once again right with Angie on the organization of Sundays meal and the clean up afterwards. Angie is very grateful and I know Dennis and I are as well when we look at a clean clubhouse after a very long weekend.

Thanks, you are very much appreciated, Deb and Janis.

Don, Dennis, Tom, Dean, Ted and George set up targets for the match and I must say we had some very interesting target placements that brings a smile to your face at the same time as some challenge to the match. Thanks very much guys.

Another worry was taken from us, when Sylvain and Brian's wives stayed up at the clubhouse during the day, which allowed us to forget about locking it up and worrying about things left on the deck. Thanks ladies!

Of course, a huge thanks to those who attended the match and made it a great success. We had shooters from BC to Montreal and also NY State show up to be part of the event that is becoming a truly "National" match. The positive energy at the match, even in the rain, was quite evident and certainly something I will appreciate and remember for a long, long time.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

Keyrigger

Post by Keyrigger » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:03 pm

Thanks to you, Tim, for all your hard work and time to organize and promote the match. Thanks to all that came, shot, and contributed to the running of the Nationals. See you all soon.

Don

FTguy
Site Admin

Post by FTguy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:32 pm

Thanks to all who make these events possible and super fun to attend .. 8-)
I Enjoyed the company of everyone that made it out... Great group of airgun enthusiasts .. :D
Shoot Safely, Shoot Often & Share Your Sport!

topher1266

Post by topher1266 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:24 pm

Always a great time with this great group of people. Always willing to help me with my chair and gear[Marshall Tim and others]. Tim and Angie Thanks for all that you do you and everyone make this one of the best things I get to enjoy each year. It was awesome to win the Gamo, Hope to get to try it out soon,needed some recovery time. Now to prepare for the match in Ottawa, I will be going for sure. Thanks again for all for a great event.