A stock with a story...

jgoodz

A stock with a story...

Post by jgoodz » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:06 pm

Well, this stock has a much more interesting history than your average airgun stock...

The stock was custom made for a fellow FT shooter, unfortunately it was destroyed in the mail and arrived in pieces, literally. Luckily the broken stock was replaced by the manufacturer, and this stock was sent to another FT shooter to try and repair. When this shooter sold his guns that fit the stock, he then passed it on to me, in a bag, as it came originally in the mail...Try not to cry :(

After assessing the damage I decided I needed to glue/strengthen the bigger parts by them self, before actually gluing things together...

All the metals bits were in good shape, doesn't mean they can't be "fixed" though :twisted:

To my fellow machinists out there, you may know the term "musical clamps" ??? Well... :lol:

Test fitting after gluing everything together, fits like a glove 8-) Although, there is one chunk of wood that was never recovered, I have something planned to fix that...

Sanding down the glue on the side with major fractures/cracks...

I used a product made by JB Weld called "Kwik Wood", seems to be quite tough and has a hilarious name to boot :lol:

I decided to some of the badly damaged sections in a gloss black, as well as the stippled grip, so I taped off the rest of the gun...

The final product is coming soon, a few odds and ends left to wrap up to get it all together. I will say this, some will love it, others will hate it, but I guarantee you it is a true "one of a kind". I have never seen anything like it before, and since this stock can never be sold (as it was replaced/free) I decided to go out on a limb and have some fun with this one :twisted:

Cheers,

bjp

Re: A stock with a story...

Post by bjp » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:35 pm

looking forward to seeing the end results. If your woodworking skills are 1/2 of your machining skills it'll be great (even though I still will never forgive you for 1/4" reducers). I want a springer just so I can get one of those stocks for myself.

jgoodz

Post by jgoodz » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:44 pm

bjp wrote:looking forward to seeing the end results. If your woodworking skills are 1/2 of your machining skills it'll be great (even though I still will never forgive you for 1/4" reducers). I want a springer just so I can get one of those stocks for myself.
Thank you...The 1/4" reducers are good for you, think of how big they make the 3/8" look :lol:

This is going to be "off the wall" sort of project, as I said I am sure some will love it and others will hate it, but the stock was free so I wanted to really have fun with it and make something very unique.

bjp

Post by bjp » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:46 pm

any updates on this project yet?

jgoodz

Post by jgoodz » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:51 pm

bjp wrote:any updates on this project yet?
Maybe :)

I have successfully fired the gun over 100 times in the new stock, the glue appears to be more than adequate and the fit of the action in the stock has not been compromised.

I will say my TX is VERY heavy now. The stock alone weighs in at 4lb 10oz, the Falcon T50 is 2lb 3.1oz, TX action itself is about 7lb 8oz. So altogether Im looking at roughly 14lbs 5.1oz, probably 14.5lbs with scope rings :lol:

My EV2 felt "light" after shooting the TX for awhile, and I kept going to reach for an underlever that was not there :lol:

Should have some more pictures up in the next few days

pirellip

Post by pirellip » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:35 pm

NICE!! can't wait to see it in competition - hopefully it doesn't shoot too good ;)

15lbs is GOOD for a piston rifle - the physics behind the shot cycle says that the weight will help reduce the recoil. I've read of 18lbs rigs. One day I'll weigh my setup.
Tom
CAFTA Governor