delete

Leonardj

delete

Post by Leonardj » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:12 pm

nt
Last edited by Leonardj on Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mac
Site Admin

Re: Vintage FWB springers and the "blue breech seal"......

Post by Mac » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:28 pm

Thanks for the post, Len.

I have bought two FWB300s, both sporting a blue breech seal. Both went straight to Len, as do any of these vintage guns I buy. Turns out the internals of both had to be replaced, including springs and bumpers. One had a broken spring similar to the one in the picture. Both of my 300s are now just a pleasure to shoot.

Pulling a few word from Len, "serviced by a qualified individual" is a bigger problem than you may be aware of. In Canada, the only one I would trust to work on these quality, vintage guns, is Len. There may be others that are willing to work on them, but that certainly does not make them qualified in my eyes. I have seen some of the work done by others that claim to be qualified. Thank goodness, Len can usually make it right, even if it involves making a part that cannot be obtained any longer.

In the US, there may be one or two that can do the work, but if living in Canada, that becomes a more difficult procedure to get things done.

I feel pretty lucky to live less than 15 minutes away from Len. I get to enjoy days of shooting air guns, shooting the breeze and when I am lucky, to see him work on some of these grand old air guns.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

JayzDaMan

Re: Vintage FWB springers and the "blue breech seal"......

Post by JayzDaMan » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:07 pm

Very well put Mac! I will second your comments in regards to Len and his airgun abilities. Anyone that knows Len and his ability as an "airgunsmith" is truly fortunate! I have quite a collection of vintage airguns. I would have to say that Len has probably been through at least 80% of all the guns I own. Mainly vintage pieces but some newer guns as well. Many of the guns were supposedly rebuilt by qualified people prior to me purchasing them. One that comes to mind recently is a vintage Walther LP3 match. The gun was purchased a little over a year ago from a very well known company in the U.S. that is suppose to have a very competent "airgunsmith" on staff. The gun was used very little and put away until recently when I wanted to take it out for a short shooting session. Imagine my disappointment when the gun would not function at all! I emailed Len to let him know I had yet another so called rebuilt gun heading his way for repair. What Len found inside the gun could best be described as absolute butchery. Shameful that a very well known company would have sold this gun as completely rebuilt! Just as a lot of people have the idea the "blue breech seal" means the gun has been recently serviced. Maybe it has or maybe it hasn't but more importantly if it has been rebuilt........by who? I would much rather buy a gun that needs a rebuild than one supposedly rebuilt! Some of these so called "smiths" will do a lot more damage to the gun than if it were left alone for a real "airgunsmith" to handle the rebuild. My LP3 is a good example. If I had not known Len and his ability with this complex pistol it would be no more than an expensive paper weight! We should feel very fortunate to have such a qualified "airgunsmith" here in Canada. I cannot imagine the hassles to try and send some some of these guns to the U.S. or even the U.K. for repair! We have a real asset in the Canadian airgun community!! His name is Len! Now only if I lived that close to him.........imagine the small fortune I would save on Canada Post, shipping all these defective airguns to him! :D

Leonardj

delete

Post by Leonardj » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:49 pm

nt