March shoot pics

West Coast Field Target Club
biagio36

March shoot pics

Post by biagio36 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:02 am

OK guys, here is the very small group of shooters that came out on Easter long weekend.

We usually have 3 - 5 PCP guys
The rest is all springers.

This is what a usual shoot looks like. All hunter class. There are few of us shooting off a cushion, we are 3 in total.

We were very lucky to enherit the old archery range which is in a very big quarry. It is fairly big and we can easily put out 40 - 80 targets, and have a sight in range. The club's property is just over 45 acres.

So here they are
013.JPG
That's me with my newly aquired EV2, Oh I'm the photographer

031.JPG

033.JPG

037.JPG

039.JPG
039.JPG (236.77 KiB) Viewed 2156 times
Attachments
043.JPG
Most of our targets are Gamo targets. The ones in this picture is converted Gamo target with a face plate from Rhino Targets from the US, I bought about 17 in the last 2 years.
043.JPG (285.87 KiB) Viewed 2156 times

Mac
Site Admin

Re: March shoot pics

Post by Mac » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:48 am

Thanks for the pics, Biagio.

Is that sunshine and short sleeves I see? Wow! Looks like a great day to shoot.

The area looks perfect for FT. I hope your club will be able to get some targets on lanes in the forest this year to really get the feel of a FT match.

Very nice to see some pictures and your report. I hope to hear from you regularly as the good weather seems to have already started, at least where you are.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

biagio36

Post by biagio36 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:20 pm

Thanks Tim
I hope to make a small video, so you can see what we have to work with. We have cut some lanes into the forest we have. Our bigest problem with our site is that it is all sand and rock. The Gamo tent pins don't realy work. Most of the time we have to put a rock on the back end of the target to make sure it does not come out of the ground. One thing we do have that is realy great, we have a very steep bank that we put targets on.

If we wanted to have a real big shoot, we can utilize some of the other property that's around. There is quite a big part of the property that can be used for FT. Most of it is forest, really high canopy, hills up and down, and around.

Thanks

Biagio

FTguy
Site Admin

Post by FTguy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:09 pm

T shirts? .. You guys are lucky!.. We haven't had any T shirt temperatures yet this year, but it's coming and when it does I hope to be out doing some shooting as well..

Thanks for sharing those pics biagio...

Here's a pic of how the targets get mounted for use at Range Burlington..
PFTs001.JPG
PFTs001.JPG (441.37 KiB) Viewed 2141 times
Indoor range and no place to really anchor the target down to, so a weighted base is used and it works..
I think they're using 6"x6"x15" pieces of timbers, but you get the idea...

Cheers!
Shoot Safely, Shoot Often & Share Your Sport!

biagio36

Post by biagio36 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:41 pm

That's nice to have an indoor range. I've been looking for a place to practice. The Mission club is the best you can get around here, but I live about 65 km away from it. I would love to shoot in an old abandon warehouse, or something like that. There is a small farm about 20km from me where we hunt rabbits, crows or anything that looks like it's eating the owners crops. Maybe I have to talk to them.

See you guys later

Biagio

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:33 pm

The wood under the targets is what is important in that pic from FTGuy. I use them some in Port as well. Most people and maybe even the club have old cut off ends of lumber. The 8" X 8' about 18" long is ideal. I bore a .375" hole at a 45 degree and from centre of the back end and out the bottom. I place a spike through it and into the ground to prevent the wood from moving forward when the string is pulled. It gets the target up out of the grass and will work on any type of natural surface. You may have to do some levelling, but that is usually quite simple, just using sticks and branches that are deadfall.

A couple of 2" X 8" or 2" X 10" screwed together would do the same. I just leave the wood on the lanes, leaning up against a tree. I do not have that on all lanes, since it is not needed, but some long shots are better if the target is elevated some. Screwing the target down near the front end of the wood makes a real fast set-up. I have a real small impact drill that zips those things in and out in seconds. I also use the drill to wind up the cords; it is quicker and the cord winds up tighter on the reel.

When you set up these matches often enough, anything that streamlines it is a good thing.

I thought that the FT guys could use the lanes that are set up for 3d archery. Some time ago, I saw pictures of some of the lanes and they looked amazing.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

biagio36

Post by biagio36 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:27 am

Hi Tim
We use to shoot sporting clays in that area, about ten years ago. They stopped the sporting clays, because of environmental issues with the lead shot. about two years ago they started the 3D archery again. Like I've said before, the property is huge, we can utilize it for FT. Maybe in the future, when you guys like to have bigger matches here, we can use that part of the property. The photos that I have included is just a little quarry at the back end of the lake. I imagine that it is about 2 square km. We used to shoot in the 3D area for about a year, untill we saw that the old archery range was abandoned, and asked the club if we could have our monthly shoots there; they said no problem.

You know what I'll make a video of the whole property that is available for FT. it will take me a while since there is mountains and valleys all over the place, oh by the way the property is over 60 acres, my mistake.

Thanks for all the input for making the targets better, I'll forward it to the rest of the guys and see what they think.

Thanks

Biagio