What Division are YOU shooting at the 2016 CDN Nats? (Unofficial numbers)

Port Colborne Field Target Club

What Division are YOU shooting at the 2016 CDN Nats?

Hunter PCP
13%
Hunter Piston
No votes
Open PCP
25%
Open Piston
No votes
WFTF PCP
25%
WFTF Piston
38%
Junior
No votes

Total votes: 8

pirellip

What Division are YOU shooting at the 2016 CDN Nats? (Unofficial numbers)

Post by pirellip » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:36 pm

I thought it'd be neat to see what everyone's planning on shooting! This Poll ISN'T OFFICIAL - please contact Tim to be 'Official Registered'
Tom
CAFTA Governor

pirellip

Re: What Division are YOU shooting at the 2016 CDN Nats? (Unofficial numbers)

Post by pirellip » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:16 pm

WFTF Piston
Tom
CAFTA Governor

bjp

Post by bjp » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:52 pm

WFTF piston for me also (although I have no idea why I'm submitting myself to the damn thing !!!!)

ynoT

Post by ynoT » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:27 pm

Open PCP

pirellip

Post by pirellip » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:24 am

bjp wrote:WFTF piston for me also (although I have no idea why I'm submitting myself to the damn thing !!!!)
The only reason a FT shooter chooses to shoot Piston is because they enjoy knowing that despite:
- practicing way more than PCP shooters to develop the perfect technique to hold on to a gun that jumps around when fired, without 'holding it';
- spending countless hours and lots of $$ tuning their guns, then tuning them again, then tuning them 18 times more...

at any given time:
- a subtle shift in the gravitational effect of one of Saturn's 62 moons can cause your spring to shift slightly, changing your POI;
- the kale salad you ate the night before may induce bloating, causing more fluid to settle in your left elbow, changing your POI;
- the pellets you so carefully washed, weighed, sized then lubed may pickup a grain of dust, changing your POI;

So, you can put in a lot more effort than our PCP brethren, be a 'better shooter' than them, and still miss a bunch of shots without really knowing why.

You see my friend, you're a glutton for punishment and you're shooting Piston because you enjoy having frustrating experiences! But every once in awhile, when the stars are aligned and you've been able to avoid all those dust particles from getting on your pellets as you load them, you'll shoot really well, and feel on top of the world :D
Tom
CAFTA Governor

bjp

Post by bjp » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:32 am

For me, it's a lot like hitting your big toe with a hammer , it really feels good when you stop !

jgoodz

Post by jgoodz » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:03 am

pirellip wrote:So, you can put in a lot more effort than our PCP brethren, be a 'better shooter' than them, and still miss a bunch of shots without really knowing why.
To me that is exactly the downfall of shooting springers, they do not always convey your skill (or the shot you made) as there are too many variables surrounding them. I like shooting either of them really and plan to alternate back and forth every year or two to reap the benefits each has to offer.

While springers are definitely "more difficult to shoot accurately", I feel that is really just because they are less consistent and have recoil. I guess what I mean is; if I want to truly test myself, a new pellet or new scope I would use a PCP to shoot groups as I know any mistakes are mine and not a bad seal, bad spring, dirty barrel, clean barrel etc (generally speaking of course)

With a PCP anything less than perfect shows where I made my mistakes and what to improve on, with a springer it could be me, or it could be the gun. After shooting piston for a year I am definitely a better PCP shooter, but I think that will work both ways, and it lets me know what is possible as I use both at 12FPE. I guess you do have more excuses when you shoot a springer though ;) :lol:

FTguy
Site Admin

Post by FTguy » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:18 am

Open PCP for me ...
Shoot Safely, Shoot Often & Share Your Sport!