August 2014 FT Match

Port Colborne Field Target Club
Forum rules
Mac
Site Admin

August 2014 FT Match

Postby Mac » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:48 pm

We are one week away from the August match at Port Colborne. The match is on August 23, 2014 and will be a full 60 shot rifle FT match on 10 lanes. I will be opening the gates at 8:00 AM to get things set up and the sight-in range should be available by 9:30 AM. The shooter's meeting will be at 10:45 and the match will start at 11:00 AM. The sight-in range will be shut down at 10:45, so be sure to get there early enough if you want some sight-in time.

All classes will be offered, but at least two shooters are needed in a CAFTA class in order to have an award.

Open Division: PCP and Piston classes (20 ft/lb max)
Hunter Division: PCP, Piston and Junior classes (20 ft/lb max)
WFTF Division: PCP and Piston classes (12 ft/lb max)
Junior Hunter Class if we have some juniors (20 ft/lb max)

Please let me know as soon as you can, or at the latest, the Wednesday morning before the match, if you will be attending. Please include what division and class you will be shooting in as many say they will attend, but do not say what class they will shoot in.

See you at the Port Club.

Tim & Dennis

Cut & Paste these Latitude & Longitude Coordinates below into a GPS, Yahoo, Google Maps or other Mapping Software:

42.910234,-79.157782
Tim
CAFTA Governor

Mac
Site Admin

Re: August 2014 FT Match

Postby Mac » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:21 pm

Must be lots of folks on vacation. Only seven shooters committed to attend.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

mike87gt

Postby mike87gt » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:34 pm

Count me in please!!
Hunter Piston class for me
Any advice for a first time rifle attendee
I need to get a bum bag, any other must have items
Thx
Mike

Mac
Site Admin

Postby Mac » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:57 pm

The nice thing about the piston rifle is that you need very little. The rig, pellets, scope chart, bum bag and a hat is about all you need. There will be some experienced hunter class shooters there for you to pair up with and have a great time.

As strange as it seems, you are the first piston hunter to confirm; we usually have three or four. There could be a another shooter confirm or you may have to shoot in with the pcp guys, but the first match is free and you should have a blast and learn a lot.

See you Saturday morning.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

pirellip

Postby pirellip » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:01 pm

mike87gt wrote:Count me in please!!
Hunter Piston class for me
Any advice for a first time rifle attendee
I need to get a bum bag, any other must have items
Thx
Mike

We look forward to meeting you Mike! Since you'll be shooting Hunter, you could actually use a stool up to 18" high instead of a bum bag, but that's totally up to you and how you shoot. Could even use a mono pod, but again, up to you (and can actually make a springer harder to shoot vs. from a typical FT position)

As for advise: try to arrive early so you'll have time to shoot on the sight-in range. Even if you've already setup your rifle and know all the POI for various distances, as a Piston shooter, I've always found it VERY helpful to warm up a bit - most Piston shooters do.

Finally: Don't hesitate to ask questions! I have yet to meet a FT shooter who wasn't a good person and willing to shave pretty much all their knowledge!
Tom
CAFTA Governor

mike87gt

Postby mike87gt » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:51 pm

Thx for the info, I will be there bright and early
Ill bring my folding stool (gotta check the height) and Ill try to find a bum bag or pad, Im gonna go to Sail tomorrow, Ive seen them there

I had a question about the sight in range
Ive heard it said before about how to use string with your targets to create less "Cease Fire" time for the others...how does that work?
Can I bring my own targets to stick in the ground as well? They are 3 foot tall steel rods with 3 inch steel discs on top and painted bright orange
Thx
Mike

Mac
Site Admin

Postby Mac » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:21 pm

You are welcome to bring targets to set out on the sight in range. We will have two sets of targets set out at every 5 yards from 10 to 55 yards. So there will be 20 metal target holders with 8 x 11paper targets in them.

There will also be spinners set out at random distances. Lots to shoot at and the sight in range usually opens at about 9:30.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

mike87gt

Postby mike87gt » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:54 pm

The clutch in my pickup went today forcing me to take it to the shop
It wont be fixed until Monday at the earliest :(
Its not looking like I can make the event tomorrow unless I can work out an alternate vehicle for the weekend
If someone is passing by the Hamilton area I could use a ride (and pitch in for gas)
Thx
Mike

Mac
Site Admin

Postby Mac » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:49 am

Port Colborne Field Target Club
Results for August 23, 2014

The day started out cloudy and there was a breeze to make things interesting. The humidity was high, but the temperature stayed moderate, making for a good FT day. The course consisted of 60 shots on ten lanes with three targets per lane. The difficulty is a little deceptive, since a couple of easier lanes pulled the overall difficulty down. The first and last lanes had an average difficulty well above 40T.

We started a little later than usual due to a wardrobe malfunction (you had to be there, or maybe not), but no one seemed to be in a rush. A lot of .375” and .5” targets set out near the max greeted us on a fair number of lanes. There were 163 missed shots out of the 300 shots taken on the 10 close targets; yes, they were tough.

A junior, Joe, showed up with his dad to check out what FT is all about. He seemed to have a great time and did very well for a first time on a difficult course. Although his score is unofficial, it is certainly worth showing how well he did. Good shooting, Joe!

The Hunter PCP class featured six shooters, with veterans mixed in with relative newcomers. Sean, visiting from the Rochester area certain has his rig well sorted and shot a very impressive 99/120 to take top honours. Chris shot very well to take second, followed by Tony, who was shooting his new rig for the first time in a match. Tim shared a gun with Dave R and they had a good battle. It was nice to see Rob back out to a match and I know he will improve quickly if he keeps shooting that QB that he has had great success with in the past.

The Open PCP had four guys that on any given day can take the top spot. On this day, Don was certainly on his game, only dropping four shots to take the top spot in his class and for the match. Len was a hurting unit, with his shoulder giving him lots of grief, but he toughed it out to place second. Dean nipped Dennis by a few shots to take the third spot.

Dave Birks, in only his second match, decided to shoot in the WFTF PCP class, scoring a very impressive 38/60. Unfortunately, he was the only one in the class and had to be grouped in with the Open guys. Nice shooting, Dave.

In the WFTF Piston class, Tom shot a great score to place first. Ted bounced me by a few shots to take the second place medal.

There were a number of folks on vacation, but we still had a great time at the match and eight of us went to the Reeb House. I was nice to continue the day and take care of the hunger that by this time was pretty strong.
Thanks to all that attended and to those who set up lanes and helped do the prep work for the match and tear down at the end. The next scheduled date at Port is the Fudd on October 18th, but we are planning to put a fun day together for September 13th with details to come in the next week. I look forward to seeing many of you on the 13th and if you cannot make that one, be sure to be there for the Fudd that always has great attendance and the fun factor is probably higher than any other match in Port. Get those mil-dot aim points ready for a fun day.

Results Chart
June 21, 2014

Rifles are .177 unless designated otherwise.....Diff 33.4 T
....Shooter.... Gun.... Scope.... Pellet
Hunter Division Score /120
Hunter Junior
1... Joe Turcotte+... 43... HW 30... Bushnell 3-9... JSB...
Hunter PCP
1... Sean McDaniel... 99... Ben Marauder... Hawke 3-12... JSBH
2... Chris Holmes... 86... Brocock... Hawke 3-12... .22 JSB 15.9
3... Tony Moosie...76...AA FTP900...Hawke SW....22 JSB 8.4
4... Dave Relf...67 Logun Solo...Hawke...JSB 8.4
5... Tim Turcotte...66...Logun Solo...Hawke... JSB 8.4
6... Rob Billard... 63... QB78 Leapers... JSB 8.4
Open PCP Score /60
1... Don Irvine*... 56... Steyr LG100FT... S&B 12.5-50... JSBH
2... Len Joe...52...HW 100TK...Deben 10-50...JSBH
3... Dean Leite*... 48... Steyr LG110 FT... Deben 10-50... H&N 10.6
4... Dennis Eden*... 45... Theoben Vanquish... Nikko 10-50... CPH