Permanent fun course

Port Colborne Field Target Club
Mac
Site Admin

Permanent fun course

Post by Mac » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:38 pm

The plan is to put a good number of targets out on the lanes that will stay there permanently. I made up a few spinners, mostly out of stainless steel and intend to put them up next week to see how they do over the winter.

The only non stainless parts are the 1/2" tube for spacers, the round hit zone and the rubber seal for against the tree. I made two different kinds, with one quite a bit easier to make. I do intend to put washers and a long spacer on the spinner without them. Rem-oil has proved to be very effective in preventing rust and will be used on the tubes and area where the two parts rotate. I will leave the front surface of the steel spinner as is, since a light coat of rust will make it much easier to see where you hit it and no repainting will be necessary. I want to use the rubber seal to minimize the damage to the tree.

Hopefully, next spring, I will be able to get up at least 24 of the spinners which could even be used for fun matches on the practise/fun shooting days.

Tim
CAFTA Governor

Leonardj

Re: Permanent fun course

Post by Leonardj » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:47 pm

nt
Last edited by Leonardj on Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:51 pm

I would like to make three or four more and I will be in touch with you early in the week. Forecast looks good for Tuesday.

Thanks
Tim
CAFTA Governor

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:40 pm

Len and I went out to the club and put up six of the spinners. Two were the ones with the bolt through the spinner and four were with the eye bolts. All function well, but the regular bolt with the spinner spinning around it function better. Three spinners are elevated and three are at eye level or lower. Three are 1.5" and three are 1". They range from 15 yards to 55 yards.

Of course after the work of installing them, we had to shoot them to check the functioning. Once we get a dozen or two up there, it will make for some fun practice and informal fun matches. Both Len and I were shooting our FWB300s and even with the low power, there was no doubt when you hit them.

Now we will see how they hold up to the winter weather and get a bunch more up in the spring.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

dHb

Post by dHb » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:49 am

Here are a couple of designs out of the UK that would be good:

Posting from the edge of Larose Forest, Eastern Ontario

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor
http://www.OFTA.ca
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Firearms ... 9022565004

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:40 pm

They look good, especially the top one.

If what I have up winters well, I think I will buy parts in bulk to save some $ and make up a bunch. With the parts I used, I know the pellets hitting them will never be a problem.

Once I have a couple dozen up next season, the fun days will definitely be more fun.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:05 am

Len came through for me again and made up some real nice bits for the spinner course we will have at Port. There are enough parts for 16 more spinner, which will bring us up to 22 out there for some fun plinking and practising. He made the short bearing sections that the eye bolts will spin on out of brass, which should last a good long time and keep that area free spinning.

All I need to get now are the lag bolts, eye bolts and the rubber plumbing washers to complete the spinners. The rubber washers really form a great seal against the tree and should prevent any sap from leaking out in the spring. I was not sure how that would work, but the ones up there indicate that the rubber seal between the tree and stainless washers does the job perfectly.

I am hoping for some nice days in the coming weeks to get them up and of course, I am obligated to try them out, hopefully with some company.

Tim
CAFTA Governor

pirellip

Post by pirellip » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:37 pm

I *just* noticed this thread - WOW this is a great addition to the club. With my upcoming trip, I'm sure to be spending more time at Port.
Tom
CAFTA Governor

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:47 pm

I have not made it out there yet. I am hoping for a day or two around 10 degrees in the next couple of months and I'll get out there and at least install the low ones and close up high spinners. The ones for up high and far away may need to be put up later as the foliage definitely will play a part in their placement.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:21 pm

I finally got out to the club to finish putting up the spinners. There are two spinners per lane from lanes one to eleven, so 22 spinners. Lane seven can be used for a standing lane and lane nine for a kneeling lane. Will be fun for practise and for fun matches. I took Don's advice and fastened small aluminum pie plates to the trees that have spinners on them. We should be able to find the spinners even when the leaves have fallen and the lanes are harder to find.

Now the members of the PC&DCC will be able to add some variety to their practise days at the club.
Tim
CAFTA Governor