Updates June 15 Match

Hanna Alberta Field Target Club
17pepper

Updates June 15 Match

Post by 17pepper » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:44 pm

I wanted to post the schedule for the June 15 shoot in Hanna.

Practice range will be open from 8:30 am until 10:30 am. Registration will also take place at this time.
Shooters meeting at 10:45.
Match will start at 11:00 am and we will have a 15 minute break somewhere around the middle of the shoot for bathroom breaks etc.
This will be a 60 shot match so I am estimating that we will wrap up around 3 (ish).
Immediately following the shoot we will have awards and then beef-on-a-bun and refreshments.

We will be following the CAFTA rules for this match and they are posted on this forum as well as the FTCentral forum. Tim has offered to answer any questions if there are any. There will be a number of divisions including Open PCP, Open Piston, WFTF PCP and WFTF Piston as well as Hunter. If you are not sure which division you should be in don't worry, we will be able to sort out the divisions during registration. We will also have a chrony set up so that we can check the power of the guns if you are not sure. For the WFTF divisions they have to be no greater than 12 foot pounds. No guns over 20 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle will be allowed in the competition. Each division has a prize for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. As well, there are trophies for youth (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and a few door prizes. Timers will be used for the WFTF divisions but they do not have to be used for the open or hunter divisions - I thought this is something we might decide at the shooters meeting??? Anyone under the age of 16 years must shoot with an adult.

There may be a number of people who would be interested in attending the shoot but have never participated in a formal CAFTA match. Please do not let this stop you from coming out and giving this a try. Everyone is welcome whether you are an expert or beginner. It is also a great opportunity to get to know other FT enthusiasts. I have a few confirmations that I would like to mention since these are people you might be interested in meeting. Both George Harde and Tim MacSween (Mac on the forums) are flying out from Ontario as well as Jeff Hemming who is a member of Team Canada heading to Germany for the World FT Competition in September. Tim and George are both CAFTA Governors and a ton of help when it comes to answering anything FT related or helping clubs get started. I believe Tim is one of the founders of CAFTA and he is instrumental in promoting the growth of this sport in Canada. Some of you will have met Robbie Stewart and know that he has a huge amount of knowledge when it comes to Field Target. Robbie has competed at the Worlds on a number of occasions for South Africa and will compete with Team Canada this year. He is unquestionably an expert at FT and I have not seen a question that he hasn't been able to answer. I believe we will also have the opportunity to meet Biagio who is another member competing for Team Canada at the World Competition in Germany. Biagio would be flying from BC and his presence would be a moment of history for FT in Canada since there would be 3 provinces participating in the shoot. Finally, a lot of you know and shoot with Brian who has dedicated a ton of time to organizing shoots in Alberta. For the Olds group, he will be a very familiar and respected face. I am trying to get a few shooters from Saskatchewan so if any of you are reading this ...

I am hoping that anyone wishing to attend will confirm by Sunday so that I can order the proper amount of food. I will post directions right away.

Barb

Mac
Site Admin

Re: Updates June 15 Match

Post by Mac » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:03 pm

Thanks Barb

A few things to consider with respect to the division and class you shoot in. If you are shooting hunter, which is recommended for those shooting FT for the first time, remember to have your aim points all set up with a maximum scope power of 16X. You can use less power, but not more. Range marks on the scope have to be covered, since ranging is not allowed. Range estimation by eye is the way it is done and I recommend you do that while standing, before sitting to shoot, as your perspective is better, the higher your view point. Aiming is done with mil-dots if you have them or hold over or under estimates if you do not have dots. Elevation and windage clicking is not allowed during the match. Point are scored as two for a target knock down, one for a hit on the target and zero for a complete miss. This scoring is much more encouraging for inexperienced FT shooters.

For the non hunter classes, there is no limitation on scope power, range-finding with the scope is ok as is clicking the elevation and windage turrets. Electronic range finders are legal in the Open division as are bipods and stools 18" or lower. All FT classes score one point for a knock down and zero if it does not fall.(All or nothing) Tough if you have not done this before.

Just some basic things to help you decide.
Tim
CAFTA Governor