FT Stock???

Strategy, Technique, Stories, etc.
Bdub

FT Stock???

Post by Bdub » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:38 pm

I am considering a custom FT stock for my TX200 for WFTF 2017. Talking to a few members here, I have the names of Steve Corcoran in Texas, Warren Edwards and Gary Cane in the UK. Any other craftsmen I should consider? Anyone have feedback on the three mentioned above?

My thinking was to go thumbhole laminate, adjustable cheek and butt hook / pad. Undecided on what type of hamster (rail or slide in/out style). What am I missing or other questions should I be asking? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks all,
Brian

pirellip

Re: FT Stock???

Post by pirellip » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:45 am

Warren Edwards all the way. I spent many, many months last year on this search. Stock fitment for Springers is critical, and Warren's made stock for many WFTF Piston Champions. He's also the least expensive. The problem is getting it shipped here.

Gary Cane has nice shapes, my Daystate Grand Prix is a GC stock. It can be shipped to Airguns of Arizona, then sent here. It'd be my 2nd choice though, they're made in batches, so aren't really 'hand crafted' expensive too.

Steve's stocks are expensive. I know the least about them, they look nice, but I decided not to take a chance. I'm not sure if he ships to Canada. He should though.

Regardless of who makes it, get laminate. It's a much better material.
Tom
CAFTA Governor

Bdub

Post by Bdub » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:51 pm

Thanks pirellip,

When you said stock fitment, do you mean to the shooter or the action (or both?). My strategy is to make the stock as adjustable as possible (cheek, butt pad and hamster)

pirellip

Post by pirellip » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:46 pm

The way the action fits into the stock is more critical on Springers than PCP. I bought a CS1000 stock years ago from customstockco in the UK, back when they'd still ship, and the fit to the action was horrible - POI was all over the place. I could never get the POI to stop shifting, I even bedded it. I may have not bedded it as well as I could have, one day I'll carve it out and try again.

Ergonomics is always important, you want the stock to fit you as best as possible. During a match I'll move the hamster down for offhand and kneeling shots. Same with the butt plate. I don't move the cheek rest.
Tom
CAFTA Governor