Size of hamster

Strategy, Technique, Stories, etc.
Hunkaluv

Size of hamster

Post by Hunkaluv » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:54 pm

Hi,

Are there any restrictions as the size of the hamster? Is there a limit to thickness of cushioning on the bottom of the hamster?
The only thing I can find from the CAFTA rules for WFTF:

" The surface of the hamster (and knee pad) must be flat and not shaped

to provide lateral support to the rifle."

Most other countries seem to limit the hamster to 6" in height, and the fore end not lower than the bottom of the pistol grip.

Thanks,
Ryan

Mac
Site Admin

Re: Size of hamster

Post by Mac » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:40 am

CAFTA WFTF Rules are governed by the WFTF. A hamster is defined in the rules, but I do not see limits set on the size, just the shape of the surface the gun rests on.

WFTF website has reference to all rules:

http://www.world-field-target-federation.com/

The hamster for hunter division is limited to a thickness of one inch, but I assume you are asking about the WFTF Division.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

pirellip

Post by pirellip » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:41 pm

Ryan,

In the past I've found it a bit confusing when trying to find the current set of WFTF rules, thankfully the WFTF website has been recently rebuilt by a dedicated FT shooter who has been keeping it current and updating it as needed.

If you read the current definition of 'Hamster' is states:
A support that is affixed to the underside of the rifle stock and rests on the shooter’s hand or knee, depending on the shooting position.

I know that for at least one year a little while ago, the Hamster definition stated that the hamster must be flat, etc, but it looks like it's been changed back to the above description.

I know when I was in New Zealand last year, I saw some top shooters using hamsters that weren't flat - here's a photo of Greg in NZ.

-SO- when in doubt, just ask and we'll get things sorted out! (we're always learning too, and I'll update CAFTA's rules accordingly)
Tom
CAFTA Governor

Hunkaluv

Post by Hunkaluv » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:04 pm

That's great, thanks for taking the time to reply.
Happy Canada Day!

Gleedaniel13

Post by Gleedaniel13 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:51 am

If you read the current definition of 'Hamster' is states:
A support that is affixed to the underside of the rifle stock and rests on the shooter’s hand or knee, depending on the shooting position.
Same here I think it will depend on the shooter's hand. :)