AR20 for HFT

Strategy, Technique, Stories, etc.
DrNick

AR20 for HFT

Post by DrNick » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:04 am

Howdy Folks,

Anyone here know if the Hammerli AR20 can be cranked up to 20 ft lbs for use in HFT? Moreover, is there any point in so doing? My understanding is that the adjustable stocks need to be set to 'minimum' configurations per the HFT rules. Is the AR20 really shootable in this state (it looks like there is a pretty major drop to the butt stock which would mean no cheek weld)?

Is this realistic or am I way out in left field and would better served looking at another platform?

Doc.

Mac
Site Admin

Re: AR20 for HFT

Post by Mac » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:16 pm

Hi Doc

The CAFTA hunter rules were revised at the end of the 2013 season to allow adjustable cheek rests to be set to the shooters preference prior to the match, but may not be adjusted during the match. The same goes for the butt; it can be adjusted up and down to suit the shooter, but cannot be further adjusted during the match. The hunter guys liked the idea and supported it, since many guns now come with adjustable cheek rests and butt pads. They felt that shooting with a gun that does not fit you was almost a form of punishment for some, while allowing one piece high end stocks to be used. A butt hook can still not be used.

Our HFT rules are and have been going through a logical progression based on the equipment out there and the wishes of the HFT shooters.

The AR20 is a good rifle and there are a few member that use them or have used them. As to boosting the power, that is probably something that could be done as opposed to should be done. Shooting it at or around the 12 ft/lb it was designed for gives lots of shots and the shot cycle is dead calm. I have for the last few years shot the Fudd hunter match with rifles varying from 9 to 12 ft/lb and have done well with all of them. Some like the high power and maybe someone in the know will chime in with some info on boosting the power of the AR20.

I hope you get into HFT shooting; you will thoroughly enjoy it.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

pirellip

Post by pirellip » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:28 am

Hi Doc,

Welcome to the FTC! From my quick Internet search, it appears that Dave in Canada has discovered the part numbers required to boost the power up:
http://www.archerairguns.info/2011/06/h ... e.html?m=1

I'm curious though - do you already own this rifle or are you thinking of buying it specifically for shooting HFT?
Tom
CAFTA Governor

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:51 pm

The 580 fps version is a 10 m gun. Pretty sure the actual FT model comes in around 12 ft/lb. I certainly would not buy the 10m version and try to boost it, but the 12 ft/lb version would be fine for hunter and also allow use in the WFTF PCP class. There may be a regulator adjustment possible to go above the 12 ft/lb, similar to what Don does with the older Steyrs.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

DrNick

Post by DrNick » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:25 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I have been shooting HFT with the Ottawa group since mid last summer. I started with a Benjamin Discovery and now use a stock Marauder (with all adjustments at 'zero') and have been doing pretty well. I had the opportunity to shoot an AR20 and liked it. I only ask about increasing power because (as I'm sure you all know) at 20 ft lbs you can buck the wind a little better and range estimation is (still important) but not as critical as it is with a 12 ft lb rifle.

Good to know the rules are evolving along with the equipment. Hope to meet all of you at one point or another.

Nick

pirellip

Post by pirellip » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:16 pm

From Dave's post in the link I provided above:
I just bought one of these in Canada (coming via Umarex USA). It chronographed at 626fps with RWS Hobby 7.0 grain pellets. I spoke to a technician at Umarex about the irritation of their marketing a FT gun that doesn't shoot at FT velocities. He sent me a schematic in German for the gun. In the corner of the diagram is a note in English that the components to replace are:
780 fps-
466.61 Regulator
466.201.35.1 Mainspring
or
1020 fps -
466.62 Regulator
466.201.35.1 Mainspring
466.29.01.1 Pin
So Dave's found part numbers for the 1020fps components...
Tom
CAFTA Governor