To PAL, or not to PAL?

Strategy, Technique, Stories, etc.
blade57

Re: To PAL, or not to PAL?

Post by blade57 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:26 am

I shoot a .177 Hatsan AT-44 which is set up for HFT. I opted for the LW barrel and the rifle is incredibly accurate and consistent.

I bought the gun new and even with a couple of spares mags, the LW barrel option and the factory Air Stripper ( which was useless and a total waste of money by the way) the rifle came in at under $550.

On the subject of whether to get your PAL or not, my view is that the more people that have them the less chance the powers that be will be tempted to try and push law abiding gun owners around.

Just an opinion

DaveD :D

pirellip

Post by pirellip » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:09 pm

The Hatsan isn't a bad rifle, but personally I'd go for a Marauder instead. I know of a .177 for sale, but you're after a .22.

There are slim pickings for decent PCPs here in Canada. I purchase almost all of my rifles used out of the US from the 2 airgun forums. The only issue is convincing the seller to ship it to you. There are no legal restraints, as long as it meets the Canadian Laws. I've always asked nicely and of course offered to pay the more expensive shipping, but the prices and selection are much better.

You can never go wrong with an Air Arms rifle either. I can't think of any others besides the Hatsan, Marauder or S4x00 series. The nice thing about the Hatsan is you can buy it now from Sniper as a sub 500, then swap the valve when you get your PAL.

Good luck and keep us informed!
Tom
CAFTA Governor

stargeezer

Post by stargeezer » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:44 am

Had a look at the Hatsan, Dave.
Looks like a lot of fun to shoot, but tactical really isn't my style. Thanks.

I really love the look of wood. There are some handsome guns out there.

A couple others that caught my eye were the Walther 1250 Dominator, with hard-shell case.
And the Weihrauch HW 100's. Really sweet looking, but a bit too much money at this point. Perhaps some day, or a good deal on a used one.
And those big-caliber Sam Yang's look like a blast. Would love to experience shooting one of those.

Really having fun with this thread. Thanks guys.
-David.
"I have a very strict gun control policy. If there is a gun around, I want to be in control of it." -Clint Eastwood.

blade57

Post by blade57 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:05 am

stargeezer wrote:Had a look at the Hatsan, Dave.
Looks like a lot of fun to shoot, but tactical really isn't my style. Thanks.

I really love the look of wood. There are some handsome guns out there.

Really having fun with this thread. Thanks guys.
-David.
I'm with you on this one, I really don't care for the tactical look or feel either which is why I opted for the Turkish Walnut stock when I ordered my Hatsan from Sniper. It's a little heavier than the synthetic stocks but seems to give the rifle a nice balance.

DaveD :D

stargeezer

Post by stargeezer » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:42 am

Oh, I see.
That does look much more like something I'd want.
What velocity can be expected when swapping out the valve, as Tom suggested?
-David.
"I have a very strict gun control policy. If there is a gun around, I want to be in control of it." -Clint Eastwood.

blade57

Post by blade57 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:18 am

stargeezer wrote:Oh, I see.
That does look much more like something I'd want.
What velocity can be expected when swapping out the valve, as Tom suggested?
-David.
My AT-44 shoots JSB EXACT 8.4 gr pellets at about 860 fps, David. With the stock Valve Stem she was shooting at about 420 fps. It was literally a 5 minute job to change the valve stem :D

DaveD :) :D

stargeezer

Post by stargeezer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:17 pm

Thanks, Dave.
Doubling your fps in 5 minutes is pretty sweet.

I went to see someone about a course for a PAL on the weekend. They actually recommended that I save some money & time, and pay for some hands-on coaching. Then write the test. They gave me a contact card of someone to get coaching from.
I won't have to wait 3 months for a course, since I couldn't find any openings before late January.
What do you people think?
Buddies with PALs at work say the test is quite straight-forward & easy.
Anyone feel I should pursue a course, instead of the hands-on coaching?

Well, since I can't buy a high-power rifle until I get a PAL, perhaps I should make use of my time by figuring out what hidden accessories I will need. Like a air-tank & hoses. Suggestions on size of tank & other items would be welcome.
What do you guys use? A large tank at home & a smaller portable one for the field?

And storage, too.
A trigger lock is all that is required, correct?
-David.

stargeezer

Post by stargeezer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:06 pm

Holy smokes!!
I just had a look at the prices of tanks. OMG!
Do many of you use hand-pumps?
What are your thoughts on going in either direction?
-David.

FTguy
Site Admin

Post by FTguy » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:08 pm

As for tanks, I have purchased used functional tanks and saved some coin... Normally less then half the price of new :D ...
Shoot Safely, Shoot Often & Share Your Sport!

stargeezer

Post by stargeezer » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:42 pm

OK, thanks.
That's good news.
I'll keep my eyes open for some used stuff.
-David.