To PAL, or not to PAL?

Strategy, Technique, Stories, etc.
stargeezer

To PAL, or not to PAL?

Post by stargeezer » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:07 pm

Hello, friends.
Thinking of getting a restricted-PAL, to enter into a new level of shooters to have fun with.
So I stopped into a range after work to ask lots of questions, wondering if this is something I want to do.

Slightly off topic, an un-named instructor there, at an un-named range, blurted-out a derogatory & demeaning statement about air-guns. First words out of their mouth.
Fortunately for this person, age has taught me patience. :evil: I bit my tongue.
But one thing is for sure, that range WON'T get my money. I have selected a new place to spend it.
...IF I decide to go ahead with it.

A deciding factor about stepping up to 500fps-plus, in PISTOLS, is will I need a transporting permit like a traditional pistol?
I suppose what I am asking is, do field-targetters find it a pain in the butt to use high-power pistols?
Do you have to get a permit every time you go to a pistol match?
Since I don't know anyone with a hand-gun, I just hear about the hassles/regulation that our government piles on us.
Is it just a big pain to transport a high-power air-pistol around to matches & ranges?

Hoping a few people can chime-in with some thoughts.
Would LOVE to get some good news, saying it's not a big hassle.
-David.
"I have a very strict gun control policy. If there is a gun around, I want to be in control of it." -Clint Eastwood.

FTguy
Site Admin

Re: To PAL, or not to PAL?

Post by FTguy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:49 pm

Hi stargeezer,
Have a quick look/see at the PFT Rules below, it will help clarify how we play the sport ... 8-)
Click on the Link .. CAFTA Pistol

Cheers!
Shoot Safely, Shoot Often & Share Your Sport!

stargeezer

Post by stargeezer » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:06 pm

Ooops.
:roll: I didn't see that "less than 500fps" part.
Thank-you.
Perhaps I'll reconsider the "restricted" part of the PAL, then.

Do any readers have a restricted PAL, for faster pistols?
-D.
"I have a very strict gun control policy. If there is a gun around, I want to be in control of it." -Clint Eastwood.

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:09 pm

Personally, I have never heard of anyone with a restricted air pistol. Not saying they do not exist, but I do not know anyone that owns one.

With the under 500 fps pistols, it opens up a lot of opportunity to shoot indoors and outdoors, with very few restrictions. I certainly would not go through the hassle of getting permits to transfer, etc.

My PAL is for rifles for hunting and for field target.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

stargeezer

Post by stargeezer » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:48 am

Thanks, guys.
I suppose it's a good idea to at least get a PAL for rifles. I'm going to sign up this week.
...Before gun licencing gets regulated out of existence. :-)
-David.

FTguy
Site Admin

Post by FTguy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:21 pm

Good for you David.. You'll open up a whole different world of choices when it comes time to choose an FT rig.. :D

Cheers!

pirellip

Post by pirellip » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:25 pm

stargeezer wrote:Thanks, guys.
I suppose it's a good idea to at least get a PAL for rifles. I'm going to sign up this week.
...Before gun licencing gets regulated out of existence. :-)
-David.
PAL rated air rifles are really in a different class than sub 500 - it's rare to find a high quality sub 500 rifle, unless it's a 10m rig or a Piston rifle that's been detuned. From a PCP perspective, there isn't much out there that's quality and non PAL.

Get your PAL!
Tom
CAFTA Governor

stargeezer

Post by stargeezer » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:46 pm

Thanks, Tom.
PCP is what I had in mind.
Going tomorrow to reserve a spot in a course.

The Marauder is what I am eyeing up for my first step. (Still quite a while away.)
Anyone have another air rifle to suggest? (If that's not a touchy subject around here, ruffling feathers?).
Hoping to stay under the $1,000 mark. Something requiring few tweaks to make it special.
I would be wanting to FT at a decent level, and maybe small game down the road.
.22 might not be the most common caliber for FT, but would hope to stick with it. I'm guessing it might be more desirable for small game as well.
Thoughts?
My Diana rifle & Crosman 2240 pistol are .22.
-David.

FTguy
Site Admin

Post by FTguy » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:31 am

I recently found a used .22CAL AA S410 in a For Sale section on one of the airgun forums ... It was sold with a couple of useful accessories and was under that $1000 mark...
Worth consideration...

X2 .. Get your PAL!

Cheers!

stargeezer

Post by stargeezer » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:35 am

Just did some quick research on the S410.
An excellent suggestion, thanks. Great reviews, and a nice looking air-gun too.

Anyone else have a good value-for-the-buck rifle to recommend?

It's going to be a while, waiting for a proper licence to finally come. So I can use that time to work on my skill.
Practice, watch tutorials....

On my way to sign up for a PAL right now. :D
Wooo-hoo!
-David.