Pellet Lube Poll Does it work? Do you use it?

Strategy, Technique, Stories, etc.

Pellet lubrication

I do not add lubricant to my pellets
10%
I lubricate pellets for PCP's
14%
I lubricate pellets for springers
10%
I lubricate pellets because it improves accuracy
19%
I lubricate pellets because it keeps the bore clean
19%
I use or tried KryTech Wax Lubricant
19%
I use or tried furniture polish like Pledge
No votes
I use or tried a lubricant mixture, eg gun oil and...
5%
I use or tried Napier Power Pellet Lube
5%
I use or tried silicone oil
No votes

Total votes: 21

penage guy

Pellet Lube Poll Does it work? Do you use it?

Post by penage guy » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:27 pm

I have posted this in the Canadian Airgun Forum, and it was suggested to me that I post it here also to get the perspective of competitive shooters. No doubt this topic has been discussed in the past, but I thought it might be helpful to hear some current views and experience on the idea of lubricating pellets. Some folks don't do it. I've never tried but would like to know more. Many pellet manufacturers put graphite on their pellets. Is this all that is needed? On a popular American forum, many swear that KryTech Wax Lubricant is the next best thing to sliced bread. Others use furniture wax like Pledge. Then there is Napier Power Pellet Lube. Still others use various mixtures of gun oil and products such as STP Engine Treatment or Slick 50, and others lubricate using silicone oil.

Some shooters use certain lubes for PCP's and others for springers. Some insist pellet lubrication improves accuracy, while others deny it. Some shooters say it helps keep the bore cleaner. Some say it does both.

Have you tried lubricating pellets? What does your experience reveal? Tell us what you have tried and the results you have seen.

Mac
Site Admin

Re: Pellet Lube Poll Does it work? Do you use it?

Post by Mac » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:09 pm

I checked quite a few boxes and they seem to disagree with each other.

In my Steyr and S410C, I use JSB 7.9 pellets sorted for weight only. I do not lube pellets for any of my pistols either.

For my ld/SS and USFT, since they were tuned for Crosman Premier Heavies (CPH) pellets, I wash the pellets and lube them with Krytech. I roll the clean pellets on a paper towel with Krytech on it, so only the two areas that touch the bore have lube on them. Anything else would be just wasted lube. I have older lots of the CPH and they are dirty, but shoot the best in these guns. I also like the fact that the Krytech dries and your fingers do not get gummed up with lube. In the two guns mentioned, I do get better velocity, accuracy and the leading is cut down. Cleaning the barrel after about 150 shots involves running a few dry patches through until they come out clean; pretty easy.

For my FWB 300 Un, I lube the 7.9s that I use with Krytech. I use very little lube on them and gain maybe 5 fps in velocity, bringing it from 708 to 715fps up to about 710 to 720 fps. With this gun, I can use a little more energy. The Kryteck "seasons" the barrel as well with a very thin layer of wax, so trying for accuracy with lubed, then un-lubed pellets, requires a thorough cleaning of the barrel to test. Since the gun is so accurate, I have not bothered to test and see.

I think some of the piston shooters use lube and maybe someone will chime in.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

biagio36

Post by biagio36 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:58 pm

Hi Tim

I have been shooting air guns for more than 30 years now. I've never heard of anyone lubing their pellets. I've been shooting competitively for more than 10 years. I've always been shooting pellets straight out of the can. Clean my rifle before every competition. My Steyr LG 110 Connect shoots pellet in pellet at 55m, which is not bad for FT.

I do have to add one more thing about pellets. For the longest time I've been shooting JSB 8.44 gr pellets in my competition rifles. About six months ago I saw the video of Ted's holdover's pellet sizing. I've been shooting 4.52 size pellets instead of 4.50 pellets. I recently bought a slow mo camera, and the 4.52 spiral out of my Steyr but the 4.50 pellets shoot true and straight. (Interesting)

When I was in Germany Last year, at the Worlds FT, I talked to a lot of people, asked them questions about guns pellets and what they do. The top guys in FT don't lube pellets, all they do is weigh them. They will start with a batch of pellets, all the same no. Open the can and start to weigh them, and then put them in 3 different boxes. the ones that are the most consistent weight go in their competition box, the rest they use for plinking and shooting at the club.

Like I've said before, I didn't go to the Worlds to shoot and try to win something, I went to learn, and pick everyone's brains. I've learned so much at that competition. I think I should write a book about FT. That was an amazing experience. I will be going to the Worlds in Lithuania next year, I imagine that there will be a few more that will be going next year. I will be practicing my butt off in the following months, already started.

Like I tell everyone, it is one huge learning curve!!!!!

Biagio

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:39 pm

You will not normally see lubed pellets shot out of sub 12 ft/lb PCP air guns like the Steyr and S410 I mentioned. I just sort for weight like the guys you talked to.

If you talk to the piston shooters, you will find a significant number that do lube their pellets. I am just getting my TX200 all set up, so I will be asking George and Tom about their pellet routines.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

penage guy

Post by penage guy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:40 am

Biagio36, your observations about 4.52 and 4.50 from your Steyr are interesting. You initially used 4.52's with your rifle. Were the 4.52's you observed with the spiral less accurate than the 4.50's you tried after seeing Ted's video? What I mean is were both sizes pellet in pellet at 55m?

pirellip

Post by pirellip » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:02 pm

biagio36 wrote: When I was in Germany Last year, at the Worlds FT, I talked to a lot of people, asked them questions about guns pellets and what they do. The top guys in FT don't lube pellets, all they do is weigh them.
After being exposed to FT on the world stage, I'd have to say that the whole issue of weighing, lubing and sorting pellets is a bit like religion - everyone has their own ideas, and no one is right or wrong. It's all up to you. It works for some, and not for others.

Shooting is more than 80% mental. It really is.

One guy, who's in the top 5 'best FT shooters in the world' doesn't even weigh or sort or lube his pellets. Another sorts them by 1/50th of a grain and lubes them too. It takes him 2.5 hours per tin, and he does it every time he buys a case - he'd done 25 tins this season when I last spoke with him!

Having a high speed camera and getting empirical data is awesome, but you have to be careful when you start down this rabbit hole i.e - did you properly clean your barrel between test groups and then 'lead in' the barrel? Some people say it takes 100+ shots to lead it in... Perhaps the barrel cleaning method isn't the right one for that particular pellet, but it is for another die lot... Perhaps the spiraling was caused by barrel harmonics, and if you just moved the barrel weight forward by 1/4" it'd be gone and that spiral would turn into a laser... But on the other die pellet, you'd get amazing groups if you just moved it back 3/8" and used xxx lube instead of yyy lube... It never ends!
Tom
CAFTA Governor

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:19 pm

The importance of tuning a stripper or weight really came home to me when I was tuning the one on my Steyr. The groups started out decent and progressively got better until I was getting groups from .28 up to .35" at 51 yards. I wondered how good it could get and moved the cone in maybe another 32nd of an inch, about .030". The groups opened up to over an inch. I moved it back and the groups tightened again. Thirty thousandths of an inch movement took it from awesome to awful.

I am not sure if the greatest difference came from the distance to the stripper cone from the barrel or just the fact that the weight of the cone moved to this particular spot tuned the harmonics to the ideal spot. If I had to guess, I would say there was an interaction of the two, but the weight movement, tuning the harmonics, was the greater component.

I have never had this dramatic a change from lubing pellets, that is for sure.

I took Tom's advice and found the most accurate pellet for the Steyr, just shooting with the barrel with no stripper or weights. Once that was done, I put the stripper on and started tuning, using that pellet. Once the tuning was done, I started lubing and found it made no difference, so why do more work for no gain, right?

I went through the same process with Tom's 12 ft/lb Steyr a few years back and his gun chose the JSB RS 7.3 gr pellets, while my Steyr chose the JSB Express 7.9 gr pellets. I am pretty sure Don did the same thing with his LG100, the 12 ft/lb one, and it chose the JSB 8.4. These are all the old style LG100s with the hammer forged barrels and set for 12 ft/lb. None of them preferred lubed pellets. All of these guns shoot consistently under .4" at 50 yards and often under .3".

Pellet on pellet accuracy at 50 to 55 yards is something I have heard claimed many times, but have never seen it, except for those rare times when a one group out of many does look close to the size of a pellet. These we take pictures of, brag about them and feel good about them, but personally, I would never claim it to be the inherent accuracy of my gun. Ten groups of five on one target paper and then average the group size is a standard many use to show the inherent accuracy of a gun.
Tim
CAFTA Governor