Wales 2017 Report

Strategy, Technique, Stories, etc.
jgoodz

Wales 2017 Report

Post by jgoodz » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:37 pm

I believe I speak for the team in saying this Worlds 2017 in Wales was a learning experience; a very wet and windy one at that. The scenery and landscape were second to none, the people were great and so was the food. Having a rented house for the team in rural Wales was amazing, we got to see the countryside first hand and stayed on a working farm; one of the few that didn't have sheep. On top of that the home owner was very supportive/interested with our shooting and allowed us to practice in the vacant pasture directly behind the house.

The competition was fierce with the top shooters from all around the globe, many of whom have years and years of experience in these conditions. We all had our good and bad days, there were a few issues with the guns due to water getting into the action after the first day in Wales. The first day we had a constant mist almost all morning, you couldn't really see the rain, it just made sure everything was wet. I started the day great dropping only 3 shots out of my first 24, but went sharply downhill from there. Repairs are something that always seem to come up as well; I had to replace a breech seal on my TX200 the week prior when George, Zach and myself shot at the BFTA Europeans Championships; day two of that competition had us shooting in a total downpour, completely soaked. After the first day of the Worlds Zach had to have work done to the internals of his gun and the cocking arm of his HW97 broke, luckily we were able to source a replacement in short order with the help of some FT friends from England (big thanks to John Farbrother)

The second day in Wales we saw what appeared to be the best overall weather; there was a light drizzle early on, but then it cleared up as the day progressed. The wind started to pick up as the rain disappeared, so things began to get a little more interesting as the morning session came to a close.

The wind we encountered on the third day of the competition at Glanusk was extremely challenging and largely unpredictable. I have spent a fair amount of time over the last year practicing in the wind, mostly in preparation for this match; while it definitely paid off multiple times the conditions are just much different over there. Where I practice I have an open field behind and to the right of my shooting range, winds will gust from 10-30KPH all the time, but they do not shift direction quickly. In Wales on Day 2 I was shooting my second target in the lane; it was 40mm hitzone at 47yds, so I pull the reset string to gauge the wind and it is drifting right-to-left, by my guess enough to drift a full hitzone left at that range. I look over at the timer and I have 1:30remaining, I wait 15 sec, pull the string again...It is now left-to-right, looking to be maybe 1.5X a hitzone (2.36") of drift. I waited down to 30 sec, got a break in the wind and put the target down with holding 1/4 hz off center.

Weather conditions, gun issues and excuses aside; it was a very challenging set of courses and it was all extremely well put together. It was great to meet up with old friends and make new ones from all over the World, who all love this great sport. Team Canada was able to meet Claire West; the owner of Air Arms and some of their team, we all signed a flag and gave it to her at the closing ceremonies as a thank you for her support of Team Canada, by providing us the limited edition TX200 rifle for our raffle. George and I also spent some time talking to Claire at Weston Park During the BFTA Euro's, along with Nick Jenkinson and others in the Air Arms team. As a few of you know; I own a couple of their rifles, so this was an amazing experience for me.

We also had the pleasure (pain?) of trying our hand at some silhouette shooting. All shots offhand, targets were 20yds-chicken, 25yds-pig, 36yds-turkey and 45yds-ram (I believe) and it was definitely a challenge with a 17lb spring gun. There was also a "speed shooting" type competition setup by Air Arms with a S510 TC and 8 knockdown targets; I initially tried this at Weston Park and put all 8 targets down in 57sec with 9 shots, trying it again in Glanusk I got my time down to 32.4sec for all 8 targets with 8 shots or 4.05sec each. First place out of all who shot this 8-shot race was 22.7sec or 2.84sec each :shock:

The team is also very thankful to everyone who has purchased tickets for the raffle, as well as Travis at Airgunsource, Air Arms, Hawke & JSB for sponsoring us and making this possible.

We all had a great time, but I believe we will be focused on the lessons learned versus the scores we posted; no one felt they ended up where they are capable of being. But that is a big part of the game; learning lessons whenever we can, adapting and coming back stronger because of it all.

Time to begin preparing for Poland!!!
20170917_091854.jpg
20170917_091854.jpg (4.12 MiB) Viewed 992 times
Resized_OI000039.jpeg
Resized_OI000039.jpeg (174.85 KiB) Viewed 992 times
Worlds-Day-4-11-of-89.jpg
Worlds-Day-4-11-of-89.jpg (2.21 MiB) Viewed 992 times
Search Peter Staddon and "Black and Snake" on Facebook to find many more pictures, or visit https://wftc2017.wales

Mac
Site Admin

Re: Wales 2017 Report

Post by Mac » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:08 pm

Thanks very much for your report, Joel. Sounds like a wet, but wonderful time. I am sure the lessons learned will pay big dividends down the road, for you and all the Canadian team. The whole experience seems like something most people have trouble putting into words. I hope to get to another worlds in the not too distant future, to remind myself of that feeling.
Tim
CAFTA Governor