FT specific Butt Hook

pirellip

FT specific Butt Hook

Post by pirellip » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:13 pm

http://www.competitionshooter.co.uk/pro ... -hook-kit/

I drank the kool-aid and ordered one.

The reasoning behind it makes sense though, this is designed specifically for FT and as such isn't like all the other butt hooks that have ISSF or other shooting discipline rules imposed on their design.

I expect an immediate return on my investment with at least 5 more points per match!
Tom
CAFTA Governor

jgoodz

Re: FT specific Butt Hook

Post by jgoodz » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:44 am

That is a nice design, I don't think I could justify the $265+shipping tho :shock:

I will be designing my own fully adjustable butt hook for the full aluminum custom stock I am making for my S400, maybe I should make a few butt hooks

bjp

Post by bjp » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:28 am

So how do you like it ? Thinking of one myself.

pirellip

Post by pirellip » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:03 am

LOVE IT!

I shot an all time personal best at the first match of the season.

Yes, I have been practicing and focusing on shooting a bit more because of my trip to New Zealand, but the butt hook seems to remove the shoulder position variable.

I now have consistent contact with my shoulder, and more importantly, the 'pull back' pressure is consistent as the hook wraps itself around my shoulder. The rifle also sits vertically more easily.

These are things that help me shoot a springer. I'm not sure how much they will help with a PCP, but they can't hurt! Buy yourself a few points!
Tom
CAFTA Governor

bjp

Post by bjp » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:55 am

I know the mfr notes it's stronger in places than aluminum but from a users perspective does it have a sturdy "quality" feel to it ? I don't mind the cost if it offers value in the sense that it's a solid piece of kit. I put an aluminum one on my TM1000 and it helps me hold the gun in position better and now I'm looking at this one for my TX200.

pirellip

Post by pirellip » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:02 pm

bjp wrote:I know the mfr notes it's stronger in places than aluminum but from a users perspective does it have a sturdy "quality" feel to it ? I don't mind the cost if it offers value in the sense that it's a solid piece of kit. I put an aluminum one on my TM1000 and it helps me hold the gun in position better and now I'm looking at this one for my TX200.
It feels very sturdy to me. Everything locks into place once you tighten it up and doesn't move. I purchased an extra connector, so I can simply remove the assembly and attach it to a 2nd rifle in under a minute. Mind you that you may want to have the adjustments different for the other rifle, but you can still use it on multiple rifles. Also get the finger adjustable option for setting the height.

Dying it was no problem, but then I tried to coat it with a spray on clear coat - after several light coats it still wasn't sealing, but there were now some areas that were blotchy. I spend a while removing it with acetone and now just have the matt black finish. They suggest a brush on varnish, I should have tried that.

Overall I'm happy with the $350 it cost - when you look at the alternatives out there, it's by far the best. The cheapest adjustable butt hook I could find was $130, I tried it and it doesn't compare.
Tom
CAFTA Governor