Need a target style pistol grip

jgoodz

Need a target style pistol grip

Post by jgoodz » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:49 am

I am going to be building a custom FT stock for a S400 and I can't seem to find anywhere to buy a target style pistol grip, something similar to what is used on the Steyr LG110

Anyone have any ideas where I would find this? I am also wondering how the LG110 pistol grip mounts to the frame/stock? I cannot seem to find any pictures showing what I would need to machine to put this grip on a stock...

I really like Gary Canes Steyr grip set, maybe I could get just the pistol grip and use that...Would like something cheaper for now tho

pirellip

Re: Need a target style pistol grip

Post by pirellip » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:14 pm

I'd be happy to let you have a look at my LG100 to see how they do it, HOWEVER one of the things that set the Steyr apart is how the grip angle, cant and position is fully adjustable. This results in a very complex attachment system, which may be a bit of an overkill for what you're doing (and tough to replicate)

If I were you, I'd start with a very rough grip shape (start with a block of hardwood or laminate) and once you have used your powerfile to shape the wood to the rough shape, focus on the attachment to the stock. V2 of your grip can be the fancy one.
Tom
CAFTA Governor

bjp

Post by bjp » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:20 pm

I think one of the Ottawa shooters, "justmissed" on Airgun forum just built a grip like that for his Hammerli AR20FT. he may be able to help you, or even let you look at his old grip to get idea's. It's very similar to the Steyr, but of course a bit simpler.

good luck on the project.

Melonhead

Post by Melonhead » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:21 pm

Hi Joel
I ordered the pistol grip and the cost is £220. Shipping is ridiculously high at £84. Took him 2 weeks to make them. They are shipping them tomorrow.
Two weeks ago when I ordered them, I was told order today or you won't get it until September or October. They were waiting for their wood delivery to start their orders but they had my color in stock.

If you want to know how the grip is fixed on the rifle you can look here.

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=steyr%20 ... embly&sm=3
Last edited by Melonhead on Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Melonhead

Post by Melonhead » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:24 pm

bjp wrote:I think one of the Ottawa shooters, "justmissed" on Airgun forum just built a grip like that for his Hammerli AR20FT. he may be able to help you, or even let you look at his old grip to get idea's. It's very similar to the Steyr, but of course a bit simpler.

good luck on the project.
I asked if he wanted to make me a set and he said no and said a few guys in the uk made them. Talked to a few of them but I ended ordering from Gary. I wanted to get another Ginb but ......

Melonhead

Post by Melonhead » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:40 pm

Forgot to mention that the pistol grip you see in that pic is not what Gary builds now. He has designed a thumb up and wrap around model.
1395873561961.jpg
1395873561961.jpg (357.12 KiB) Viewed 2531 times

Keyrigger

Post by Keyrigger » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:47 pm

Joel:

I know from personal experience making one that grips are not that hard to make I don't have the inletting tools and the owner of them has in storage so I can't be of much help to you. The grip of the LG110 and LG100 are not difficult to make and it really is not much more than a rectangular stepped hole with a bolt hole that comes up through the bottom. Basically, the pistol grip I made has a lot more inletting than the one for the rifle. If a stud was to be fixed to the receiver area of a stock, a vertical style grip could be bolted to it from below. It took a lot more time to get the fit the way I wanted and even more time to get the stippling and final finish done but the grip took about a day and a half to carve out of a solid block of walnut. The palm shelf was a very easy to make addition that had to be added as the original block of walnut was not big enough. Take care.

Don
Attachments
LP10 Grip 4.jpg
LP10 Grip 4.jpg (121.93 KiB) Viewed 2527 times
LP10 Grip 3.jpg
LP10 Grip 3.jpg (136.93 KiB) Viewed 2527 times
LP10 Grip 2.jpg
LP10 Grip 2.jpg (130.3 KiB) Viewed 2527 times
LP10 Grip 1.jpg
LP10 Grip 1.jpg (138.2 KiB) Viewed 2527 times