What is the better choice for mounts?

Keyrigger

Re: What is the better choice for mounts?

Post by Keyrigger » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:57 pm

Bring it all to the next match at Burlington and we can all have a look at what is going on. I have seen many installs where it was something very simple and others where it required different mounts or machining to be done. Hope you can hold off until then. Take care.

Don

jgoodz

Post by jgoodz » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:07 am

Keyrigger wrote:Bring it all to the next match at Burlington and we can all have a look at what is going on. I have seen many installs where it was something very simple and others where it required different mounts or machining to be done. Hope you can hold off until then. Take care.

Don
Yeah that's no problem, I haven't been shooting much lately due to the awesome weather we have been having...

We had the elevation pretty much good to go, but the windage was still way out. Then one day when I was shooting it; I took a shot and felt something hit my hand, all the shims fell out of the back ring as the scope was gradually moving

Garmic

Post by Garmic » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:28 pm

I just looked up the Falcon T50 and this is just a guess but it may be bending under the stress of its own weight, that is a big scope :)

Keyrigger

Post by Keyrigger » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:00 am

With any rifle, when there is a serious error in windage, there can be a few items to look at before throwing the scope in the bin. Check the alignment of the scope rail cuts, the receiver, and the barrel. If those are not inline, you may need to "tweak" the offending part. If the receiver and the cuts are proper, then the barrel mounting will come into question. Years ago, I bought a Webley break-barrel rifle that had been snapped closed so that the barrel was bent upwards and to the left. As long as the open sights were used, there was not problem but once a scope was installed, all hell broke loose when I shot over the target trap sighting it in at 7 yards as a starting point. I was able to reset it for both windage and elevation but it can be a tedious process. If the cuts have been done incorrectly, you may need to custom machine the mount to compensate for the error. If you can put it on a layout table, you may be able to indicate all the components and find if there is something out of alignment. It doesn't take much to produce an error but if you are at the end of the windage adjustment, there may be something else in the mount/scope cuts that is creating this. See you next weekend.

Don

jgoodz

Post by jgoodz » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:51 pm

Keyrigger wrote:With any rifle, when there is a serious error in windage, there can be a few items to look at before throwing the scope in the bin. Check the alignment of the scope rail cuts, the receiver, and the barrel. If those are not inline, you may need to "tweak" the offending part. If the receiver and the cuts are proper, then the barrel mounting will come into question. Years ago, I bought a Webley break-barrel rifle that had been snapped closed so that the barrel was bent upwards and to the left. As long as the open sights were used, there was not problem but once a scope was installed, all hell broke loose when I shot over the target trap sighting it in at 7 yards as a starting point. I was able to reset it for both windage and elevation but it can be a tedious process. If the cuts have been done incorrectly, you may need to custom machine the mount to compensate for the error. If you can put it on a layout table, you may be able to indicate all the components and find if there is something out of alignment. It doesn't take much to produce an error but if you are at the end of the windage adjustment, there may be something else in the mount/scope cuts that is creating this. See you next weekend.

Don
Thanks for the info Don,

The only thing that really confuses me is I had a Hawke Varmint 6-24x44 in 1" BKL DBL Strap rings and there was no issues whatsoever, windage and elevation where "good to go". Im sure we can figure it out next weekend, see you there

If I could find a way to mount it in my machine I could test everything with a Renishaw pickup probe that is accurate to .00005" :lol: maybe a bit overkill though