What is the better choice for mounts?

jgoodz

What is the better choice for mounts?

Post by jgoodz » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:26 pm

I am trying to decide what mounts to use to put my Falcon T50 on my TX200 and have narrowed it dwon to either Sportsmatch Fully adjustable two pc rings or B-Square or Hawke fully adjustable 1pc mount

Any advantages to either? experience with either?

I need to adjust for barrel droop as well as shooting far off the left...

Mac
Site Admin

Re: What is the better choice for mounts?

Post by Mac » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:40 am

George and Jeff are the guys with experience in mounting large scopes on the TX200. I would contact them directly if they do not chime in here. Drop me an email if you need an address to send to.

If you get a good answer, it would be great if you could please post a summary here.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

pirellip

Post by pirellip » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:04 pm

The only adjustable I would use are the Sportsmatch.

I'm using them on my HW77K with my Leupold.

HOWEVER, many good piston shooters recommend NOT using adjustable mounts. How out of alignment is it? If it's just elevation, I'd just shim the back.

The BEST solution is to have a 1 piece sent to MAC1 and have the adjustment milled in to them.
Tom
CAFTA Governor

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:43 pm

I really cannot understand why BKL does not still sell the drooped riser/adapter mount. I have one of the old ones with droop built into the four inch long dovetail to dovetail riser. They should be available, drooped, in both the one mentioned and in the dovetail to weaver 4" riser/adapter. It would be easy enough to manufacture and would sell like crazy to the airgun crowd especially.

I had a Sport Match adjustable on my TX200 and took it off when I looked from the back and saw just how tilted it is on the TX. I am going to go with a BKL four inch dovetail to Weaver riser and use Leupold quick detach weaver rings. This way I will be sure that the scope is not leaning to one side like happened with the Sport Match. The riser has six screws to tighten it on the gun and the Leupold/Weaver mounts will not move.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

Leonardj

Post by Leonardj » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:51 pm

nt
Last edited by Leonardj on Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:22 am

I will try flipping the clamping rail, but probably on thr FWB 300 as I kind of like the way the TX is now with the drooped AA riser. Thanks for the tip.
Tim
CAFTA Governor

jgoodz

Post by jgoodz » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:37 pm

pirellip wrote: How out of alignment is it? If it's just elevation, I'd just shim the back.

The BEST solution is to have a 1 piece sent to MAC1 and have the adjustment milled in to them.
It is out to lunch, Don and I shimmed the elevation, but the windage didn't have enough adjustment to get it lined up...Maybe I will take a cheap pair of rings and figure out how to mill them myself, would be pretty easy on a 4-axis machine

Mac
Site Admin

Post by Mac » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:10 pm

jgoodz wrote:Maybe I will take a cheap pair of rings and figure out how to mill them myself, would be pretty easy on a 4-axis machine
I can see some work for you in the near future. :D
Tim
CAFTA Governor

pirellip

Post by pirellip » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:26 pm

jgoodz wrote:It is out to lunch, Don and I shimmed the elevation, but the windage didn't have enough adjustment to get it lined up...Maybe I will take a cheap pair of rings and figure out how to mill them myself, would be pretty easy on a 4-axis machine
Wow, that's strange. I've never come across this on a TX200 before - I have on HW rifles. Did you try using a different brand of rings? Also try flipping the rings around (so if the screws were on the left, they are now on the right)

IF you can figure out how to mill the correction into standard mounts, you'll be SET - I'd order this correction done for sure!
Tom
CAFTA Governor

jgoodz

Post by jgoodz » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:07 pm

pirellip wrote:
jgoodz wrote:It is out to lunch, Don and I shimmed the elevation, but the windage didn't have enough adjustment to get it lined up...Maybe I will take a cheap pair of rings and figure out how to mill them myself, would be pretty easy on a 4-axis machine
Wow, that's strange. I've never come across this on a TX200 before - I have on HW rifles. Did you try using a different brand of rings? Also try flipping the rings around (so if the screws were on the left, they are now on the right)

IF you can figure out how to mill the correction into standard mounts, you'll be SET - I'd order this correction done for sure!
I have tried BKL and Sportsmatch rings, flipped them around, even tried putting them facing opposite directions and then tried alternating the side each one was facing...nothing... :cry:

Im starting to wonder if there is an issue with the scope, I have it off of the TX right now so I will try throwing it on another gun and see if the problem is in the scope...